TITAN SECURITY - VALID BUSINESS OR CRIMINAL SCAM?

This forum is dedicated to our local Police Department to let the community know about recent laws, as well as to discuss problems and concerns with the citizens. Please note: This is a public forum, do not post any personal information or discuss non-public criminal issues. Please email or call the officers directly if you need assistance with a crime. Abusing this forum can be a serious matter and we will not hesitate to provide information using our logs about who you are.

Moderators: Issa, ACPDWarrington, ACPDMontoya, ACPD Brownlee

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Do not post personal information about crimes on this forum, please directly call the police department instead. Use this forum to communicate to our police force online.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

TITAN SECURITY - VALID BUSINESS OR CRIMINAL SCAM?

Post by mattbb61 »

This may be much ado over nothing, but be on the lookout for door to door solicitors claiming to be with "Titan Security" out of Brentwood California. My experience began last Sunday, February 21st, when, In spite of the prominent "NO SOLICITOR" sign on my storm door, I received a knock. Upon opening the door, I saw two young males, one Hispanic, one Black. The young Black male immediately began his memorized spiel, a monotone commercial of what "ADT" services they were selling. The Hispanic male stood silently behind, observing the interaction. I soon held up my hand to interrupt the door step commercial, pointed at the sign, and began to calmly and in a business like exchange, explain why it was there. The Black male immediately didn’t want ANY of this (I suppose I was "dissin" him), because he quickly rolled his eyes (all too easily in my view), turned, and began sauntering away with the “in-yo-face” attitude seen all too often in “COPS” episodes. My verbal effort at having him turn around so I could finish my discussion failed. as he continued walking, and disappeared around the corner of my garage. I finished my discussion with the remaining male, who had been watching and listening intently the entire time. He readily apologized for his (supposed) co-worker, explaining that he was his “trainer." (I took note that he failed to apologize for failing to spot the sign in the first place as the salesman in charge; maybe I expect too much professionalism from these solicitors). After receiving the remainder of my customer feedback with head nods, he swiftly departed to catch up with the hot headed, immature youth, who was now at my neighbors’ door. I walked out and standing in plain view, watched as they continued down the street, all the while relating the situation to a fellow "Neighborhood Watch" member (via cell phone) whose home they would eventually arrive at. That friend was able to obtain their business card of the Hispanic male, which I now have. Five minutes after this, I observed a second Black male youth, taller but thinner than the first, very slowly walking up the other side of the street towards the other two. All of them had color coordinated blue outfits, and I believe all three carried clipboards of some type. I saw no vehicle which could be connected in any way to them.

I took that business card and did some simple internet and phone research, and although it appears a professional style card, I came up with the following findings:
1. The business phone number listed for the company has NEVER offered anything other than a busy signal, even early in the morning... EVER;
2. The business address on the card does not match any existing street view (Google Maps), nor does Brentwood 411 information;
3. The Fax number has an area code of 209; Brentwood is entirely within the 925 area code;
4. There is NO web site for this company that lists a Brentwood address or phone number;
5. The business license number does not appear anywhere within the Better Business Bureau records;
6. The only email on the card, for the actual salesman, contains the numbers "707" which we in the know can readily identify as having a probable “gang” relationship.

Now, my neighbor mentioned that I could call ADT all day until the cows came home, and they wouldn’t tell me a thing, because this type of sales company "Titan Security," is not affiliated with ADT, but merely sells their products. Taking all this into consideration, upon doing the math on this business card and the action and appearance of the three youths involved, I personally conclude that they were either very inept salesmen, which I HOPE is true, or giving over to my gut instinct, they were actually gang members slyly canvassing the neighborhoods to see which homes did not currently have an installed security system.

I then contacted the American Canyon Police Department, and relayed this information.

Take my experience with a grain of salt, do the math on your own, and be on your guard; don't fall for slick (or even lousy in this case) door to door salesmen pitches; keep watch on OUR neighborhoods! Go with your own gut instinct – it may do you well to be safe, and not sorry.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: TITAN SECURITY - VALID BUSINESS OR CRIMINAL SCAM?

Post by mattbb61 »

A friend informed me that "...ADT has been plagued with other companies that claim to be upgrading ADT systems but actually are "hijacking" your current system and changing your alarm provider. You find out that the system has been changed when you receive the bill from the new provider. This information comes from my experience with ADT and the warnings they provided to us. They often come to homes that like mine that advertise an alarm service, telling the consumer that they will upgrade your system to the latest and greatest..."

Also, this bit of information you can use the next time these type of solicitors come a knocking; "...While I appreciate your No Solicitors sign, we all know that they don't read them. My tactic when I answer the door is ask for their business license. The City of American Canyon does require a business license to operate in our city. If they cannot produce a copy of the business license I call the police and report illegal activity on my street. They will respond, or I should say, they have responded in the past..."

Good bits of information...
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Re: TITAN SECURITY - VALID BUSINESS OR CRIMINAL SCAM?

Post by Issa »

I actually had this happen to me a month ago here in San Diego. I saw two white men dressed like the alarm company with a badge. He knocked on my door saying "I noticed you have ADT" and wanted to upgrade our alarm system to a better version. He then had a notepad. At that moment I just slammed the door at him, obviously a solicitor and I hate them. Then he continued speaking through the door and I just ignored him. I watched him in the window and he proceeded to the next house with an alarm system. Thank you for sending this information!
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.