# AmCan Public Safety Fair just in time for school

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

# AmCan Public Safety Fair just in time for school

Post by Mel »

Kind of irks me that we have this "newspaper" geared toward American Canyon and it's happenings ( the Eagle) and they consistently fail to report American Canyon events and stories. This should have been in the Eagle but i found it in the Times Herald.

FYI, if you are a Donaldson Way Parent, we are having our Back To School BBQ this Sat. from 12-2pm. Have a great lunch provided by Blazing Saddles and find out who your child's teachers are! Also a great time to sign up for PTA, purchase Spirit wear and also purchase a yearbook at a discount!

AmCan Public Safety Fair just in time for school
By SARAH ROHRS/Times-Herald staff writer
Article Launched: 08/14/2008 06:25:27 AM PDT

AMERICAN CANYON - With the first day of school just around the corner, police and fire officials are staging a Public Safety Fair on Saturday at the Wal-Mart parking lot to help promote safety for school children and their parents.

Tony Heuschel, American Canyon Police Department Community Resource Officer, said the free fair will feature information, a number of police and fire demonstrations, and free items, such as bicycle helmets for children.

The event takes place 10 to 2 p.m. in the portion of the Wal-Mart parking lot, which runs alongside Highway 29

A vehicle extrication demonstration will be given, and the California Highway Patrol and a number of police dogs, or K-9s, will be on hand for demonstrations, as well, he said.

The safety fair is part of Heuschel's efforts to promote public safety of school children as they go to and from school. Monday is the first day of classes at American Canyon's three elementary and one middle school.

The police department is also working on a Safe Routes to School program in which students would be able to go to designated homes and businesses if they feel unsafe for any reason.

Heuschel is also gearing up for other projects in the community policing division, which include regular "Coffee with the Cops" in which he stops by a local cafe and welcomes patrons to talk to him about police issues.

The next "Coffee with the Cops" is Sept. 6 at Starbucks, 101 West American Canyon Road.

Heuschel also goes to American Canyon schools on Fridays during the lunch hour to talk with students, and stages regular "Dining with Dignitaries" events in which residents can have a meal with local officials.

Besides staging community events, Heuschel responds to messages left on the city's graffiti hotline at 647-7607, and helps investigate graffiti incidents. Taggers who are caught are required to pay restitution, he said.

For more details on the Neighborhood Watch Program and other programs of the community policing division, call 551-0605. Other information on Heuschel's efforts can be found at http://www.myspace.com/acpd.

• E-mail Sarah Rohrs at srohr
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: # AmCan Public Safety Fair just in time for school

Post by ac94503 »

Mel,
Nice to see you back!
We as American Canyon Residents are very fortunate that both the Napa Register (Eagle) and the Vallejo Times Herald are willing to pick up our story. Let's appreciate that we have 2 newspapers reporting AC's happenings.