Please stop being rude to each other on the forums

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Please stop being rude to each other on the forums

Post by Issa »

Look, I'm not going to edit anybody's posts or prohibit anyone from speaking their mind, but I do not like everyone being rude to each other. If you have something to say, speak intelligently and quit being rude. Everybody reads these forums, city council members, future citizens wanting to move into American Canyon, neighboring cities, etc. What image are we giving to them by acting like this to each other? What you write will remain on these boards months and years to come.
Last edited by Issa on Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

I agree with ISSA. You can have an intellectually conversation without being rude. American Canyon is a great community and it is wonderful that we are able to have a forum to discuss our woes on.

We can agree to disagree and then we can go out and get ourselves with the facts in hand. Thanks for the website ISSA.
merryjester
Historian
Historian

Post by merryjester »

Hear, hear Issa. Thanks for the call to sanity and thanks for the website!

Nicknames on forum

Post by Guest »

why dont we all use a nickname or somthing in here instead of User as a user name. It gets a bit confusing when your commenting back in forth do different people with the same name (guest) it will talk 5 seconds to just come up w/ a name. What do you guys think?

Post by Guest »

nah!!

Post by Guest »

nah!!
why not?!? all it will do is make things easier! And you dont need to put you real name...just use somthing for everyone to call you by...like Cat2005 or Dog05...or anything!!!!
Valentine

Post by Valentine »

They can't all be as original as me pumpkin went bye bye with the season and Rudolph is with Santa in the North Pole but Valentine is here. Yep you all will have a field day on this one go ahead :lol:
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Its about the issues

Post by Paul Maguire »

If you argue the issues, you get somewhere- if you get personally and attack, its a waste of time- and I notice that "guest" seems to be the main way that is done- hum too bad
neo94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

I agree

Post by neo94503 »

ty issa for this site but thats besides the point if you cant be curteaouse abought other peoples posts than dont post at all its ok to argu but whan you go all out and attack some one virbally than thats to far

neo has spoken
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

if you get personally and attack, its a waste of time I notice that "guest" seems to be the main way that is done- hum too bad
They may be "guests" to the public, but behind the scenes they are computer addresses logged into a database. With a couple clicks I can see all related information about them, and see what was posted under a particular address. I have seen some patterns where people post comments using guest then post something else with another name, even registered users. I am not going to do anything about it nor do I care, who you post as is your business as long as its not violating the forum rules. Remember though, if you use this website, you agree to its privacy policy, and that is, everything you do on the site, every page you visit, every search, every post, is logged into a database for thirty days.

In any case I do not plan to disable guest posts. I feel it is a necessary part of the forum, being able to freely discuss issues. It hasnt been a big issue, every now and then somebody spams the board, but I have security in place so usually in minutes I am notified about it and just send their ISP a nice letter with a log of what they did.

If it ever does become a problem, yes, I can force everybody to register before they post. But it would take a lot to get to that point.
Linda
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Linda »

I can see your reasons for your last post Issa but it always seems unfair that people feel they have to hide behind 'guest.' :roll:
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

To those of you who have had your posts deleted by myself: Look, nobody is telling me to delete something, I do it on my own judgement, everybody has their own criteria, and I have my own. I probably delete less than 1% of all posts. If you disagree with my decision or think I am being unfair about deleting something then email me personally and explain why, in most cases there was a couple words or a sentence that I found to be too far. When possible I have emailed users if I have deleted their posts with an explanation and original message. Half the posts on here a newspaper wouldnt publish so come on guys, dont give me crap about not being able to freely express yourselves, I am extremely open with what people are able to post. If you have concerns then shoot me an email or post your thoughts here. In any case, its my site, if you dont like how I run this forum, I really dont care.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
1momfor2
Resident
Resident

Deleting

Post by 1momfor2 »

So sorry you are having to delete any posts. I thought we were all suppose to be adults. One wonders.
Just a suggestion ever thought of having people sign in for posting rights?
That way you would know who or how to reach them.
I am amazed at the people that post and reply under guest.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

I dont want to take away anonymous posting, thats what makes the forum so great. Its not a huge deal in any case. If I forced people to sign up, people will just create fake accounts anyway then I gotta go and delete them all. Or they will type their email wrong and complain why they didnt get their password. I see who is who, all posts are logged, so dont worry, I just added another layer of logging just for these forums the other day. I can see what somebody posted today and see what they posted last year and match them up with a click.

I find the posts of people who are registered to have more value anyway because they have the guts to not hide behind a wall when they say something. And I am much more tolerant of what they post as well. The more you post the more I will let you say whatever you want. If you are gonna post under a guest, then dont expect a lot of tolerance from me about what you type, just as easy as its for you to post, its just as easy for me to unpost.

The bottom line is this: I screen every post, I read it word for word, if something ticks in my head for any reason and I feel its offensive, just one word, then I'm just gonna hit the delete button and not think twice about it. Thats my criteria. The more ranking you have (more you post, longer you have been registered) the more likely something will not tick in my head. Consider the points on your profile your ranking.

Its not perfect obviously, and no system is, and people will always think I'm being a jerk when I delete their posts.

I can put a members only forum, but I really dont know what that would accomplish, there is far more interaction when there is more freedom.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

I think I am going to get a huge beer stash and whenever I need to read through all the new posts I will grab a few before doing so. Its hurting my eyes what I gotta read every single day.

I'll quote Ben on this:
"The way I feel if you don't have anything positive to say, don't say anything at all"
paralegal
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I dislike rude people

Post by paralegal »

I agree, I dislike all the rude people and all the bad stuff being said about people on these forums, It is almost like the "Enquirer" where you read for pleasure and take nothing said or the people saying it seriosly.