Truth and Facts Still Matter to ME!

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VicRiv »

Like many of you, I’ve received two reminders regarding Planning Commission Hearing relating to the approval of the Wal-Mart Store here in American Canyon.
I wanted to clear the air about the misinformation outlined in the cards being mailed to our homes. It angers me when lies and deception are used to confuse residents instead of providing facts which would allow us to make well-thought out, informed decisions, like adults.

From the card: American Canyon Taxpayers would pay for any and all extra security for retail shopping centers. FALSE. Fact: As part of the approval of this project Wal-mart agreed to pay for 24 hr. private security for the entire Napa Junction project and coordinate with American Canyon PD for arrests.

From the card: American Canyon Taxpayers pay for necessary traffic lights, a pedestrian bridge on Napa Junction Road or Highway 29. FALSE. Fact: In an agreement with Napa County and CalTrans-the Napa Junction project developers paid $1 Million for the regional transportation fund. Lake Street Ventures is the ONLY developers (who have had an American Canyon project approved) who have paid into this fund. Factoid 2: The transportation issue had been neglected long before this project was even considered. Remember the funding for the Transportation Bond was supposed to include the pedestrian bridge? How did this suddenly become the developer’s responsibility?

From the card: American Canyon Taxpayers pay for all children of Wal-Mart employees who live outside of the city to attend school. FALSE. This is a distortion of the facts. In the State of California, if a parent works in a school district-their children can attend the ‘local’ school. This is NOT specific to American Canyon or Wal-Mart.

Lastly, I came across this quote by former President Ronald Reagan “Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first”. Aren’t MY elected officials supposed to represent MY interests, instead of out of town, special interests? I say enough is enough.
Aside from pointing out these distorted facts-I believe it’s also time for the members of AmCan Community United for Responsible Growth and Citizens Against Poor Planning to identify themselves and their sources of funding. Isn’t the judicial system based on being able to look your accuser in the eye? I want to know who these nameless, faceless people are. More important, who foots the bill for the Modesto-based attorney fee? And the propaganda machine responsible for lies and deception?

Let’s get this project approved to increase tax revenue for the general fund, add new jobs for our teens, low cost medication for our seniors. Money we can use for improving our parks, providing services and paving our roads. I know one other fact-an empty store doesn’t benefit ANYONE.

Victor Rivera, Resident
American Canyon, CA
mookienunu
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mookienunu »

Vic... When will the madness end?
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Planning Commision Meeting

Post by ac94503 »

Will this meeting be televised?

I remember previous meetings held at the Rec Center were not televised.

I also remember the pictures of residents with the "NO WAL MART" signs in the Register and Times Herald.

Are we back to square one?
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Report on Meeting

Post by ac94503 »

Seeing that the meeting is scheduled at 6:00 many of us that would have liked to attend my not be able to make it there in time. I hope someone will report the details on this site. Even though it appears we all ready may know the outcome.

Today's Times Herald

"We just have to go forward and approve these permits and get this store going," Quicho said Wednesday. "I think it's going to be a good thing for American Canyon."
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

I think the planning commission went well. Although most of the people left after the 10 min. break.

Everyone was extremely happy, Buzz Butler was high fiving all of his tenants and anyone he has worked with in the last 20 years to come and speak on his behalf, I mean W/M behalf and how the project should just be passed.

The only residents who actually spoke about the resolutions or issues of concern was Stacy Su, Paulette Griffin and Joanne Guilliam.

Stacy Su talked about the new plan Walmart submitted omitting the garden center building which will be replaced by two other buildings. Having the developer use drought resistant plants. The City having the option of reviewing Walmart's Security if there are increased security issues. Walmart putting up a large bond in the event they close up shop.

Paulette Griffin spoke about maintaining cleanliness both inside and outside of Walmart and ensuring the maintained diligent security for the shoppers. Walmart should hire local residents from American Canyon. Oh and how the old Managers did a good job of cleaning up Walmart in Vallejo, but the new Managers we don't want in American Canyon.

Joanne Guilliam spoke about how Walmart says they are very into helping the community and she wants to see. Joanne requested they help seniors out and also help some of them obtain jobs at WM to supplement their income.

The attorney's from all sides have had something to say. Walmart says what a great job they did on the addendum and how so many businesses are just waiting for them to open in AC. AmCan United Attorney spoke about being given only 5 days to review over 400 pages of information and how the meeting was violating the judges order. CAPP Attorney spoke about how they didn't address the EIR and how could they increase traffic for the am, but not pm and how could they say the new gas station was going to be the only reason for increased traffic.

Anyone wishing to read the staff reports, addendum and other planning documents can download them from the City's website and go to the planning commission.

P.S. Way to N.Y.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

The other Side

Post by VicRiv »

As Always, MCB, presented only one side.

The owners of the Vallejo development which currently houses Wal-Mart was there-They spoke how a contract has been signed by Home Depot who have been waiting two years to move into the facility once WM vacates- and are willing to spend $12M to improve the area. NO Blight in THAT area.

The former CEO of AmCan Chamber spoke about how Vallejo is currently on a brink of financial collapse and open to any/all new business. They can't understand why a small city like ours is so reluctant & opposed to opening an outlet with such a positive financial gain.

A realtor spoke about the increase in residential and commercial property values and how the area surrounding the Napa Junction site has recently been developed. No more vacant buildings etc.

Just presenting the other side.
mookienunu
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

As Always, MCB, presented only one side.

Post by mookienunu »

Thank you Vic for presenting both sides. Yes, you are right MCB presents only 1 side of the story.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Wal Mart is Coming

Post by ac94503 »

I shop at Wal Mart because that is what my budget allows.

I'm not disappointed if AC has a "Super" store. I am discusted that hwy 29 is already backed up to the airport intersection because of the new and old signals. The traffic is at a crawl! I do feel it will only get worse.

The solution (I fear) is a 6 lane highway through our City. That, to me, divides AC into 2 quadrants. Those that have and those that don't! Not the best precedent to set.

A message to the Planning Commission:

Remember those of us that have been here for years. But also stop the developers from promising new residents things that don't exist!
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Mel »

So, do they or don't they have to so an EIR?
MeadowsGuy
Historian
Historian

The Truth and the Facts

Post by MeadowsGuy »

Well.. very predictable and sad.

The Facts: The General Plan calls for American Canyon to be a "small rural community"... asta la vista to that.

The Truth: This should have gone to a vote of the people. I think we still live in a democracy... something as "important" as this (if you lend any credence to the Pro-WM folks) should benefit everyone and not a chosen few.

The impacts of increased crime and traffic are real.