Sushi YU

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Sushi YU

Post by mattbb61 »

Bad news for we Japanese cusine buffs; The Sushi Yu on Redwood street in wonderful, diverse Vallejo has been slapped with an Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) injuction to cease operations.

Friends of mine went there for dinner last evening, and found the restaurant closed. A sign on their door finds they were sued for violating The Americans with Disabilities Act and won't be able to open again until 3/15/07. However, even after that time their service will be limited to take out or delivery only!

It really makes us mad that those hard working and tax paying citizens have to put up with this kind of crap. :twisted:

Also, given the timing of the suit it would almost appear this was a lawsuit of opportunity since most of the customers know the business is moving.

Not sure just when it will reopen across from the corner starbucks near Safeway, but I am SURE they will have entry doors wide enough to keep the blood sucking lawyers from the ACLU, and their good for nothing else vagabons who search out stores to sue under the ADA away.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Sushi Yu

Post by ac94503 »

OMG Matt,

You surprise me being that you are retired military! Many of the veteran's that fought the war against Japan became aquainted with the foods and atmosphere of the Japanese Cuisine. Maybe...even some that were disabled in that war. Why in the world would you be against the law being followed to allow your past, present, and future disabled comrades access to any business?

Let's even take the veteran out of the picture. You are upset because a restaurant that you like is closed due to their disregard for the ADA.

Really??? Or do you just make this s*** up?
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mattbb61 »

Apples and Oranges. This appears on first sight to be the handywork of a guy out of Oakland whose life it has become to make life difficult for we hard working "Working Class Americans."

Here's a story from 2003, when this dreg with a loy-Ya, began his crusade against business owners:

Businesses Unite to Deal with ADA Litigation
Vallejo business owners are getting ready to take on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) related lawsuits filed against them.
According to the story in the Vallejo Times-Herald, they got together with attorney Jack Burstein to decide on a strategy to deal with the lawsuits.
George Louie of Oakland has filed the lawsuits against more than a dozen Vallejo businesses and property owners over accessibility for people in wheelchairs. He also said another reason for suing was the rude behavior of the clerk at the business license counter in the City Hall, the Times-Herald reported.
Jennifer Duggan of a Sacramento law firm said if the buildings are not in accordance with the ADA, Louie has the legal right to sue, the newspaper said.
However, many business owners and City Councilwoman Joanne Schivley are questioning Louie's motives and are terming his activities "economic terrorism."
Duggan told the newspaper, "Louie is a career plaintiff, one of several in the country." She suggested that the businesses get in touch with an ADA consultant to bring their property into compliance with ADA regulations in an inexpensive and easy manner.
Duggan said Louie's lawsuit can be devastating for small businesses and result in closure of some of them.
Source: The Vallejo News, August 27, 2003.

Please refrain from the fake concern ("OMG").

My father faught the Japanese in WWII, and two of my Autrialian uncles were KILLED in that war.

What I am against is this opportunist turd from Oakland, and those indigents like him, who are nothing more than ambulance chasers; scouts for debase Loy-Ya's with nothing better to do than hurt my friends livelyhood with their foolish lawsuits.

They have NOT disreagarded the ADA. What the ADA does is just this; open the wallets of good people to be sued by those with adjendas. A liberal's paradise indeed.

ANd no, i just didnt make this "s*** up" either.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Sushi Yu

Post by ac94503 »

Matt,

Now, see how you have explained your comments. Your first post makes a little more sense after reading the article that you read. I was not aware of the same information as you...until you relayed that to this site.

You probably do know that Am Can has recently been hit with a similar suit...I'm not sure if it is the same guy...you probably know much more than I about that.

I found your post somewhat "off the wall" but now that you have clarified it...Why not wait and see what others have to say.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mattbb61 »

Ok.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

My father owned a gas station for many years and one day the county of marin came and told him to make a ramp, it cost hundreds of dollars, then they came again and told us the ramp slope was too high, so we had to tear it down and make another one on the other side costing us even more. Since when does a small family owned business have to spend all this money to cater to every person who comes? Dont get me wrong, the first disabled person we saw we stopped everything to help them - I remember coming out and pumping their gas and running back and forth with the credit cards free of charge. But this does cost a lot of money and its unfair to demand a private owned facility to do so. If it was public I totally would agree but not when its your own business. Let capitalism work its course, if you need a ramp then you cant go to that facility, they lose out not you.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Sushi Yu

Post by ac94503 »

Issa,

"they lose out not you." God forbid either of you 2 gentlemen ever experience a disability!
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

They as in the facility.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mattbb61 »

The facism of the minority. If you cannot get into my business, then you SHOULD patronise one of my competitors. This flood gate of ADA lawsuits is just what the democrat trial lawyers were betting on when they passed that well meaning, yet idiotic law.

Next thing could be making ALL of us build ramps to our houses, because someone in a wheel chair going door to door cant access your front door. Yup, the ACLU will make THAT a reality some day, unless this idiocy is stopped, and stopped soon.

I dont hate handicapped people. I hate intrusive, spam laws which benefit Loy-Yas...

The same party which pushed that ADA is also the one who cherishes the right of a mother to kill her unborn baby... Go figure.
Member of the Loyal Opposition
Since 2008...
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Sushi Yu Again

Post by ac94503 »

Matt,

I know you understand the bigger picture. Much more than I. You have been very quiet on this site in regard to the recent issues...

What do you think about Mr. Maguire's suit, the Current City Council and the $12 Mil purchase of Cabernet Village?
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Your Opinion

Post by ac94503 »

Issa,

I would like to see a survey on your site as to several of the questions I asked Matt. But, probably the most interesting to me would be:

"Should the City spend up to $12 Million dollars to purchase Cabernet Village for the new, temporary City office complex?

Is that a do-able?
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

Yea, I can post it on the front page if thats what you want to know. Just give me the answers you would like, send me an email or call me up so we dont spam the forums.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Survey

Post by ac94503 »

Issa,

Just a yes or no question.

Do you think the City of American Canyon should purchase Cabernet Village as a temporary City Hall?

Thanks
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

K, its up
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Survey

Post by ac94503 »

Thanks...
paralegal
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

americans with disabilities

Post by paralegal »

I understand that the same guy is making a career out of lawsuits against business. I do believe that people with disabilities should be able to patronize ANY facility they choose.

I also believe that business owners have a moral and legal responsibility to have access for disabilities. My father re-models all kinds of businesses and before a place can open for business they are inspected for access for the disabled. THEY CANT open or continue with the building until those issues for ADA are met.

The older businessess I believe fall under the older laws with regard to ADA. But, morally, I believe that we all have a responsibility to help the disabled. Older bussinesses with stairs I believe fall under the old laws and cant be sued.

I understand that people liked the business, but for a moment MATT picture yourself with a disability that allows you no access to your favorite place to eat...... Is that fair to you? Should someone tell you to go to a competetor?
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

SILENCE IS GOLDEN ?

Post by mattbb61 »

AC:
Thanks for asking my opinion; its not that I don’t have one on those two issues (I have opinions on EVERTHING), it’s rather I've been busier than usual lately in the "Dad," "Work," "College," and "Political Action" areas....
First of all, if a person has an issue with local government, running to a Loy-Ya is not my idea of leadership. I do NOT have all the facts of either issues, but I do understand that our city (read MY taxes) have gone to litigate Mr. Maguire’s' suit. IS there a grievance procedure set up? Was this just a case pf someone with the available funds and possible personal Loy-Ya? Don’t know for sure.
NO, I am NOT comfortable with the purchase of Cabernet Village. One of my friends is a council member, and I have yet to speak to him about why he voted for it. Why we couldn’t have used the Recreation Center Gym, or used the school cafeterias, or as I suggested here before, construct a building near the existing city hall would have been MUCH better than spending twelve MILLION dollars for a building on the northern fringe of the city, as FAR AWAY from your citizens as you can get!
I am also concerned about the Mayor's mention of wanting to bring more "services" to the city. Please define "Services" Not more government handouts please. If its something which is in Napa, then we shouldn’t duplicate it here in our city.

PARALEGAL:
I understand your belief that business owners have some kind of moral and legal responsibility to have access for disabilities; I just do not agree that they should be FORCED by government to facilitate them. That is too much power in the hands of government, no matter how caring and compassionate the ends appear. The means in forcing businesses out of business because they don’t is just fascism.
I can agree in principle that any NEW construction OUGHT to accommodate handicapped, but to FORCE existing, PRE-ADA business owners to fork out tens of thousands of dollars to appease the needs of an extremely minute clientele makes no monetary sense to me. And business' bottom line is how caring and compassionate they are, but how much money did they make!
Whenever anyone takes an opposing view point, like I often do, I am usually asked to put myself into the shoes of the person whom I am on the other side of the debate with. It takes little time nor imagination to do that, and I come out with the same belief. Logic, not feelings nor compassion should rule the roost in this case.
If I WERE in a wheelchair, and couldn’t get into my favorite restaurant, I sure the hell would not hurt the owner by suing his livelihood just because of poor little ME, and perhaps ONLY ME, can’t gain access! I would speak to him, yes indeed, and understand that if he said it was too expensive to build, or even it he said he just didn’t want to do it, where is MY compassion, nay, my RESPECT for HIS decision? Its HIS business, NOT mine. Would I be upset? Perhaps. That is not the issue though. And yes, I WOULD go to a competitor, not roll around saying poor, poor pitiful handicapped me.
My own mother is housebound, and needs a walker, so lets not anyone else go there anymore; saying I have no compassion, because although I DO, I say again, that is NOT the issue here. Government intrusion into the owners of Sushi Yu IS. (And the win-win for those Loy-Ya's).
paralegal
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

disabilities

Post by paralegal »

Matt- I never meant to assume that you did not have compassion for others. I do not know you and therefore would be wrong to assume same.

As far as older buildings being made to become accessable to handicapps. I believe that the handicapp rights have been violated under the constitution for along time and the government is enforcing them or trying too. While it is SAD that businesses have to spend 1000's of dollars to make it ADA approved, it sure would beat being sued for much more because it was not. My dad is a builder and he deals with ADA every building that he builds from doorways, bathrooms, sidewalk entrances. But, the important thing I believe is the fact that the handicapp have rights the same as you and I regardless of the fact that they can not see, walk, think, hear like us.