Nits allowed in school

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Nits allowed in school

Post by Mel »

Anyone happen to catch this article today in the Register? Once again, it's all about the money. Anyone have the knowledge to start an online petition - maybe we can get this decision reversed. I was at this meeting but left at 10:30.

Napa schoolchildren with nits in their hair can stay in school now rather than being sent home, district board members decided Thursday night.

The district altered its policy on head lice to allow children with nits -- eggs attached to hair strands and containing unhatched lice -- but will send them home if they show up to school with live lice.

The decision, supported by a new recommendation through the state Department of Health, keeps more students in school, thus providing more educational days and making sure the school receives more money from the state.

Schools receive money based on Average Daily Attendance numbers. Children sent home for having lice or nits are typically out two or more days, said district school nurse Deborah Ohaire.

The policy change means more students stay in school.

"If we only send home the children who have live bugs, we are going to be sending home less children," said Ohaire.

A Department of Health spokesman told board members nits hatch in a typical 9-11 day period.

Ohaire added that school nurses and other district staff are trained to look for both nits and lice. Students who have nits are going to be checked again within a 10-day period, and the child's family is also going to be notified so they can continually remove nits until they are all gone.

Nits, Ohaire explained, can be tough to notice, as they are but half the size of a pinhead. Live lice, however, become quite visible.

Schools have shampoos available for families whose children end up with lice, but Ohaire pointed out she cannot give them out. As a school nurse, she is not allowed to dispense any medications, prescription or over-the-counter. Because companies supply schools with the anti-lice shampoo, though, other staff members can give the free shampoo out to parents.

There was no public debate on the policy change, only Ohaire and the health department spokesman addressed the topic. The policy talk did not start until shortly after 11 p.m. and concluded about 11:30 p.m.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Response to Mel

Post by ac94503 »

One word: Nit-wits!!!
paralegal
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

NITS

Post by paralegal »

I would never allow a school to put my daughter in such jeaporday!!!!

i believe that if enough people complain and COMPLAIN LOUDLY the schools will have to hear everyone and I believe that a special meeting should be held at the school addressing only that issue.

Nits can cause other children more harm than the inconvenience of having them it really can become a health issue. I wonder if the people who decided this would be happy if their children came home with Nits that then turn into full blown lice and they have to scrub their entire house and wash all bedding and hopefully not spend a small fortune doing so.