Tragedy in AmCan

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Tragedy in AmCan

Post by VicRiv »

http://www.napavalleyregister.com/artic ... 378507.txt

http://timesheraldonline.com/todaysnews/ci_5110724

I have spoken with Roddrick Sweeney. We are planning an event in the gym in the next couple weeks to talk with our teens. Grief counselors are at Vintage and Fairfield this morning.

This is truly a sad day for our city and the Gee Family. They are in my prayers.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Tragedy

Post by ac94503 »

Definitely a tragedy in AC.

I have read the articles and posts on the Napa Register site. I hope the Napa Sheriff's Investigators will be able to find the responsible individual(s) quickly. These unpredictable acts of violence are so frequent lately in our neighboring cities that I guess I thought we were immune to such a situation in our small city. Apparently not.

I would like to suggest to Roderick and Victor that if you pull together an event for the youth of AC, you use every resource available from the Napa Sheriff's Dept regarding..."guns kill".

I didn't know Anthony Gee personally, but to his family and his friends my heart is broken that we will never know what this young man could have offered to all of us in the future.

My deepest sympathy.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

With All Due Respect

Post by ac94503 »

With such a tragedy in our community this really is not a time to keep quiet. It is a time to make suggestions as to what all of us, as residents, can do to keep another family from having to endure the years of heartbreak facing the Gee family.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Input

Post by VicRiv »

We will be planning the event to occur in the next two weeks. We will include Police Dept, grief counselors and city leaders.

We want to ensure our youth that this is a very sad, isolated event.

Thanks for the input.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Clarification...

Post by ac94503 »

After reading ACPD Warrington's post, I probably should have specified...
GUNS in the WRONG HANDS...KILL!
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

In a couple of weeks? Kid's have questions now. Is this going to be the kind of response we will have in an emergency? Most communities work with the schools, churches and police organizations to provide immediate help for students, typically on the monday when they are returning to the school. Too many emotions can run high in two weeks and a lot can happen especially with teenagers.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Timing

Post by VicRiv »

The Gee Family wanted to host a private ceremony. Neighbors and friends wanted to participate.
We want to respect all of their wishes-keep in mind this was a senseless act of violence. I also hear-friends want to host an candlelight memorial in the next couple days-and we didn't want to interfere with those plans.

With all this in mind-we plan to meet tomorrow to plan an event for the following week in the gym.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Well it would be nice if some the community churchs put out there they are available for grief counseling in the mean time.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

EVENT UPDATE

Post by VicRiv »

Wed. February 28th Starting at 7:00pm
AmCan Gym, 100 Benton Way

American Canyon Cares..
A Community Discussion and Open Forum for Teens & Adults

Talk to:
Mayor Leon Garcia
Friends and Family of Anthony Gee
Police Chief Balducci
Family Resource Center for Grief Counseling
Open Forum Discussion with Roddrick Sweeney & Parks Comm. Services Commissioner Victor Rivera

Help us Plan:
Anthony Gee Memorial March and American Canyon’s 1st Youth Day

For More Info Contact Roddrick Sweeney 648-7275 or Victor Rivera 647-1792

REFRESHMENTS SERVED
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Event POSTPONED

Post by VicRiv »

I have been out of town at a conference-but I understand the event has been postponed.

Updates as they become available and I play catch up.

Thoughts on what YOU, THE COMMUNITY would like to see included in an event for Youth Day and/or AmCanCares?

Post by Guest »

In your response to suggestions for Am Cyn Youth Day I would love to see the following:

Rock Climbing Wall
Jumper
Activities, etc.
Get a Presence from AC Patriots Football & ACLL & AC Basketball; AC Boys & Girls Club
How about a DJ
Booths set up to sell children's hand made crafts
Booths set up so children can do crafts
Food

Just some thoughts! Thanks
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Suggestions for American Canyon Youth Day

Post by ac94503 »

I think gloprincess has given you ideas that are a little more catering to the younger youth in the area. If the target is more the "teen" I have a couple of suggestions, and this post is not to say her ideas could not be incorporated into the event.

Contact the high and middle schools regarding their arts programs. Have a display of work that teachers are proud of from their students. Whether it be liturature, ceramics, paintings, woodwork etc. anything that a student has created that shows their talent. Let them share this positive side of themselves with the community.

I think a DJ isn't the best idea at this time, but I'm sure there are kids that perform a variety of alternative music. There are chorus groups, school jazz bands, marching bands, NV Idol I believe was won by a teen from AC. Kareoke is always entertaining...

Food - BBQ!!! Possibly at no cost for the teen population attending the event. Maybe just a donation request. I realize this could be expensive because those kids can eat!

Basketball, swimming, volleyball, frisbie, skateboard demo, kite flying and maybe even a powder-puff game!

How about trying to get a well-known sports figure to come and provide autographs. In memory of Anthony Gee possible an Oakland A's player.
(Brenda Knight may be able to help here)

I think in order to do it right you probably should move the event further out than March...possibly May in hopes that it doesn't rain!

And I guess most important have teens give you input as to what they would like to see happen that day.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Getting teen input is critical. What we adults think teenagers will enjoy is much different than what they actually do enjoy.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Breaking News ... Arrests

Post by ac94503 »

Four arrested in AmCan murder
By MARSHA DORGAN
Register Staff Writer
Monday, February 26, 2007
10:10 a.m. Sheriff’s detectives have arrested four teenagers in connection with the shooting death of a 16-year-old boy at an American Canyon birthday party last month.

Three 17-years-old boys from Vallejo and an American Canyon 16-year-old boy were arrested early Monday morning for Jan. 27 the murder of Anthony Gee. 16. Two of the teens were booked into Napa County juvenile hall for murder and the other two were booked for accessory to murder, according to Napa Count Sheriff’s Capt. John Robertson.

“One of the boys charged with accessory to murder was already in juvenile hall for violation of probation,” Robertson said.

Names of the four have not been released because they are juveniles.

Check back with napavalleyregister.com later in the day for updates on this story.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

UPDATES

Post by VicRiv »

Apparently arrests have been made, as previously mentioned. Join me in praying for the Gee Family and the families of the youths were were arrested/involved. A few moments of bad judgement will affect ALL these families for a very long, long time. Mr. Gee said it best, "Won't bring my son back" and now these families will probably lose their sons to the penal system for a very long time.

On the positive side:

We will continue with the events we had previously planned. We didn't do a very good job of articulating the purpose of the gatherings to council members. I want to stress that we will put on a positive event-which will show a United American Canyon for ALL Residents. It will also include information on activities for youth and teens. It will also be a show of solidarity for all who love here that "Am Can Cares" about ALL our citizens-young and old. The events will include youth, teen and family events.

More updates as they become available.
paralegal
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

A GREAT LOSS

Post by paralegal »

I agree, this is a major loss for the Gee family and now for the family of the boys arrested.

I suggest that we alsways tell our children how much they are loved as we also find out EVERYTHING about what, who, when, and where they are doing something. HUG our children tight because a few minutes of stupidity can take away a lifetime of love and hugs!

Yes, the boys will be in the system for what will probably be the rest of their lives. A little bit of Justice for the Gee family is.......

It is a murder case and they had probably planned itas well. The DA will probably charge them as adults, with "special circumstances", such as premeditation ( Murder1), Laying in wait? It seems to me that it was a deliberate act as these kids BROUGHT the gun with them and therefore premeditated using the gun as well. There is a lot that can happen and a good DA will carefully choose all he can.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

This is so disheartening. Where are the parents of these children and why don't they know their sons are packing? This is just so senseless.

My prayers go out to the Gee family may they be able to find peace in all of this.