City Business- Today's Napa Valley Register

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

City Business- Today's Napa Valley Register

Post by VicRiv »

Eight openings remain for two AmCan commissions
By KERANA TODOROV
Register Staff Writer
Friday, January 19, 2007
Wanted: American Canyon residents interested in land-use, design, parks and recreation issues.

The filing period for the city’s Planning and Parks and Services commissions has been extended until Jan. 31, said Interim City Clerk Marilynn Linn.

The original deadline of Dec. 15 was extended until the end of the month because there were so many positions open, she said.

The City Council has to fill three slots on the Planning Commission and another five on the Parks and Services Commission. In the meantime, the commissioners whose terms expired Dec. 31 retained their seats, according to Mayor Leon Garcia.

One of the Planning Commission seats became vacant this fall when longtime Planning Commissioner Don Callison was elected to the City Council.

As of Wednesday, the city had received seven applications for Planning Commission and another six for Parks and Services Commission.

The Planning Commission applicants include two commissioners whose term was scheduled to end Dec. 31: Michele Castagnola, the commission’s chairwoman; Anthony Quicho, a registered engineer.

Callison, who served eight years on the Planning Commission prior to his council win, said he spent 10-20 hours a month preparing for the commission’s monthly meeting.

Victor Rivera, a parks and services commissioner whose term ended in Dec. 31, has applied to serve on the Planning Commission.

The other applicants are: Pamela Gail Quiroz, an assistant director for the Contra Costa County Community Services Department; Katharine Bourassa, president and owner of the Hampton Group LLC, a land-use consulting firm; Joseph Meck, a Rutherford winery employee; and Tommie Hodge, a consultant who has worked for the Contra Costa Housing Authority.

The Parks and Services Commission applicants are Hodge; Elizabeth Goff, a teacher at American Canyon Middle School; James Walker, a student and former City Council candidate and Hosea Morgan.

Two incumbents have re-applied: Steve Macdonald, a public works maintenance employee with the city of Vallejo; and Albert Iliff, a senior resident.

Applications for the commissions need to be submitted at the city clerk’s office, 300 Crawford Way, by 5 p.m. Jan. 31.

Info, 647-4352 or http://www.ci.american-canyon.ca.us

Here are some opportunites to make a difference in town!
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Surprised!

Post by ac94503 »

Vic Riv? I thought you had other obligations that required you to resign from the Parks and Rec Commission ? So I am somewhat surprised that you would want to serve as a Planning Commissioner for the next several years? My understanding is that a Planning Commissioner position requires more time than a Park and Rec Commissioner...Do you really have the time with all of the other "organizations" you are involved in?
My observation is sometimes good people spread themselves so thin that they cannot give 100% to "one cause". Just my opinion.

However, I do hope the Council will seriously consider James Walker for a replacement on the Parks and Recreation Commission. This young man has shown a commitment to the community by running twice for a Council seat... What a perfect opportunity to hear from the "younger generation".

James, as I have said before...I'm sure your parents are very proud of their accomplishment in raising such a "concerned" AC citizen who apparently finds it more important to serve this community...than to be your average teen who seems to only care about themselves.

Listen and learn and you definitely will be a viable candidate in the future.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

James Walker - Vic Riv

Post by mindingcitybiz »

I agree the Parks & Rec's commission would be a great stepping stone for James Walker. I hope he decides to step up to the plate. We need young fresh ideas, instead of a $90K bocci ball court.

I was shocked Victor wants to be on the Planning Commission! Because of Victor Parks & Rec's people are able to tele commute. Tele Commuting is ridicules when you have to review documentation that may be submitted at the last minute. What are you thinking Victor!
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Applying for Planning Commissioner - Vic Riv

Post by ac94503 »

Am I the only one that remembers this post by VicRiv after his so-called "buttgate" remark?

VicRiv

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cindy,

I appreciate your comments and support. When the attendance issue came up-I changed employers to reduce travel. I also took a hit in compensation of over $75K..It just isn't working with a daughter ready to go to college.

Most frustrating, is in my daily work routine I am results driven-and the slow movement of the city's bureaucracy leaves me feeling frustrated and stifled. (I can trouble shoot and put together a technical solution and implement a mutil-million dollar system in less than 6 months)

So I figure it is time to move one.(I gave my notice of resignation to Randy and Kay on Monday) So it's official, and I'll try to help out for the remainder of my term.

I am being courted by other companies which would up my compensation to the old range, and it also fits into my long term financial plans and early retirement But that also would require extensive business travel to earn top $$.

I will be around town supporting the volunteer groups, helping with the school bond issue (as we discussed) and other groups.

Maybe some of the people posting here who seem to have all the answers will step up and do some work for the city.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VicRiv »

MCB- (once again) WRONG! NO ONE on PCS Telecommutes.

Ac94503: I applied before the 12/15 deadline because at that time NO ONE else had done so. Now that I see there are others who applied I can re-evaluate things.

Thanks for you two showing you care so much about lil ol me!
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

by the way

Post by VicRiv »

The most important and relevant part of my post was:

Maybe some of the people posting here who seem to have all the answers will step up and do some work for the city.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Reply to VicRiv

Post by ac94503 »

Victor,

The reason I remembered your post is that I agree with your statement:

"Most frustrating, is in my daily work routine I am results driven-and the slow movement of the city's bureaucracy leaves me feeling frustrated and stifled."

I do not have the patience for long drawn out discussions that seem to go on for months prior to a decision being made...This would be one reason I would not be a good candidate for any of the committees in town that I have observed.

Some people don't seem to mind the bureaucratic process. I do!
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

AMEN

Post by VicRiv »

There's going to be quite a bit of city business this year. Many of the current projects are being completed and the next series are on the priority list.

I wish more people would get involved. One person can make a difference. See the article in Times Herald re: Barry Christian and OpenSpace?
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Barry Christian

Post by ac94503 »

I know Barry quite well. He is dedicated to his open space movement in AC. I think the article in the Vallejo Times Herald showed a man with a "passion" for what he and others find important for the future of AC regarding recreational opportunities. He does his homework and is extremely intellegent.
"Passion"...I would think that is the word that explains why anyone steps up and continues fo fight for their interests.
I remember being told once that the "squeaky wheel gets the grease,"
Barry Christian and his group are a squeaky wheel and they will accomplish their goal because they are not going to give up regardless of the obsticles. This is in my opinion the way to get your agenda recognized by the City. People need to come together for a common goal...

Let's look at the soccer fields at Kimberly Park. With the numbers that I have read of participants...I would think their Board needs to take it to the paper...Vallejo Times Herald and Dan Judge to get it up and in the Council's face again so action is taken .

As Barry Christian has showed us...if you do your homework, don't let the issue die and have a passion for your venue...people listen.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Tele-Commuting

Post by mindingcitybiz »

I seem to remember a city council meeting where council members were discussing the commission members missing a lot of meetings. Victor Riveria got up and spoke about his "New Job" and how it takes him out of the area and it would be easier if he could tele-commute on days Victor was working out of town. So the council agreed the parks and recs commission could tele-commute. Check December 2004 City Council meeting minutes. Whether you ever used it or not doesn't make a difference, the point is tele-commuting was approved by City Council to meet your needs.

On another note: The following month Victor & his impact 94503 group went on a witch hunt to get luporini removed from office.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

clarification

Post by VicRiv »

The City Council voted to have staff investigate the possibility of allowing telecommunication.
a) new phone system with speaker system would have to be investigated. Never Done

on another note. I have since been offered a new position as Managing Director/National Sales Manager for an investment firm. I work out of my home and travel is no longer an issue.

Lastly, PLEASE get your facts correct. Lori was exposed to NOT be a resident of American Canyon, but in fact, of Davis, CA. UNLESS you know something the entire city doesn't/

I am NOT a part of Impact group.

I wish I had a dollar for everytime you posted an inaccuracy or untruth..it would be enough to retire early.

Have a good one.