Why I Moved To AC?

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Why I Moved To AC?

Post by ac94503 »

I have lived in AC for over 21 yrs.

Why I moved here? We could use the VA loan (Vietnam Vet) and buy an affordable home for ourselves and 2 children. (What we were "suppose" to do.)

This area has so much more to offer today than I could have ever imagined. It was soooo behind the times 21 yrs ago and entertaining yourselves and your children really took some imagination...

Why did you move to AC? Do you regret that a home was so important that now you sit in traffic on Hwy 80 for hours just to keep that job and have a home and get home and burnt out ? Too tired to participate in all the things your kids are involved in?

I know more women that are still here and their husbands have moved on because of the pressure of keeping that house due to their daily commute.

Solutions:

Bring more big business to AC!
Have a support group for "single" moms! "Single" meaning you may be married but Hwy 80 has taken it's toll.
The house is not the important thing...it's the "family" that counts!

Issa, you were brought up here, right? I would love to hear your take on what AC was like as a kid here and why San Diego is now your home.
(Sorry, don't mean to put you on the spot)...Just Curious... Once my kids went off to college they didn't want to come back either.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

My thoughts

Post by VicRiv »

I moved to American Canyon about 17 years ago. My wife and I were in our mid-20s and we had a daughter and a son on the way. I liked the open space and our close proximity to Kimberly Park. Our neighbors were all very welcoming and friendly.

I would drive 140 roundtrip daily to Foster City. Many of my co-workers who lived on the peninsula thought I was insane. Affordability was the reason we bought here, as we paid $137,000 for our home back then.

As our children got older, my wife and I got involved with Little league, AYSO, PTA, Scouts, Church and B&G club and Kiwanis.

..and then the growth started and ugly politics arrived. The growth brought more traffic, crime and drained our infrastructure. Politics turned ugly and has gotten worse.

American Canyon still has enormous potential. We are heading in a better direction with our new city manager and other elected officials bring a new optomistic hope. We can all get to know our neighbors better and get involved with the many volunteer programs available.

2007 offers a new beginning and opportunities are countless.
Colleen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Post by Colleen »

Moving from a not-too-great area of Vallejo, we bought our American Canyon home in 1992. I used to pretty much be able to remember how many cars went down our street all weekend if I thought about it, as it was so quiet compared to Louisiana Street in Vallejo. Now I have a hard time getting out of my driveway (Cassayre) in the morning or late afternoon if I leave during certain hours. I too commute - to Mill Valley - because there was no way we could afford a house in Marin. We also couldn’t afford to buy a house in American Canyon on my Vallejo wages back then, so that’s why I commuted - a double-edged sword. My life has changed a lot in the last year and I am often asked by co-workers if I will move closer to work. Again I mention the cost of housing and they remind me that I could easily buy and live on a boat. Well, although we do get quite cold this time of year in AC, the summers in Marin where that boat would be can be dang cold, so I enjoy our weather overall so much more. I also enjoy my semi-flat top little house in Rancho, which is a ‘must see inside’ and needs TLC outside, but it is mine and the outside will start coming together in ‘07. My neighbors are great! Whether it be bringing over lunch when I am outside having a garage sale, checking up on me if my car has not moved for too many days and they are worried - or bringing their lawn mower across the street after finishing their own and even helping trim down a tree and working on the upcoming exterior TLC to be done - they have been there for me and I know they will continue to be. (And I for them.) You can’t get that many other places. American Canyon has grown and we need to keep a handle on this. This is a huge concern. But as it is growing, if we are neighborly and care for and help those around us, it can continue to be a great ‘little town’ to live in.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Re: Why I Moved To AC?

Post by Issa »

Issa, you were brought up here, right? I would love to hear your take on what AC was like as a kid here and why San Diego is now your home.
(Sorry, don't mean to put you on the spot)...Just Curious... Once my kids went off to college they didn't want to come back either.
My family moved from San Francisco to AmCan, it was our first home. Its funny when I see the pictures, there were no house behind where we lived now they are everywhere!

I love AC, it was fun riding my bike everywhere, taking our go cart into the dirt paths (now they are all homes). If we wanted anything we had to go to Vallejo, and whenever we ordered pizza add an hour, they would never find us! Also, whenever you bought something over the phone and told them you lived in AmCan they would insist you were wrong and lived in Vallejo, and mail always took a few days extra to arrive. Getting onto the Internet was also a pain, the only local number was like Pinole and my parents would get upset when I racked up the phone bill. The long bus rides to school and waking up extra early I dont miss at all, its too bad thats still an issue today. I remember there used to be indian tents up on the hill when I was a kid, probably from the "Napa Junction" days.

I went to college and decided to stay because of people. It had nothing to do with American Canyon, I just couldnt live in such a liberal atmosphere, I worked in Marin, and I just realized how different I was from people living in the bay area. I can relate to San Diegans much better than San Franciscans. I feel more at home with conservative San Diego. I love AmCan and wish it was 10 minutes away and I sometimes think about moving back, but probably dont think I will.
Last edited by Issa on Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Mel »

We came from Marin in 2000. I am 5th generation Marin, San Rafael to be exact. Things as always and as everywhere were different when I was growing up in San Rafael. I would walk down San Rafael as a young adult on my lunch hour and know many people who knew me and my parents from school and that was wonderful. When I was in my 20's, I noticed things were changing and I knew I wouldn't raise my future children there. When it took a good 45 minutes to get from 2nd and D Street just to the freeway ( it's only 2 miles), it was time to look elsewhere - we also could never afford to buy even a fixer in Marin. My husband and I enjoyed just driving and looking at areas. We happened in American Canyon by mistake. We thought we'd check out the flea market. Well, we never made it to the flea market and spent the day walking around Am Can. We knew what streets we wanted to live on and a year later the house we really wanted went on the market. We had one child at that time and Hubby worked in San Francisco and I in Marin. 30 days later we were building a fire in our fireplace - ion our new home in AC. Even when fully built out it will be a small City. Everyone will still know most everyone and our kids will know everyone's kids from all the sports here. I am excited to raise my now 2 children here. I am excited to have them attend the new High School. I am excited to be involved in their sports, in their school and yes, even in the elections!!!!! :roll:
This is a great time for American Canyon.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Very Pleased by Your Responses

Post by ac94503 »

I am very pleased by the responses to this thread.

I recognize several of you that have been posting on this site for the last several years and it was nice to know we could share a little more about ourselves than the usual banter that seems to run a-muck at times.

I feel we all are more "alike" than even I thought!
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Common Ground and Bond

Post by VicRiv »

Small town living in a family-oriented locale seem to be the common ground. Amenities, services and restaurants in close proximity to one's domicile is next.
I have the luxury of working from home-priceless. But believe me, did "my time" on Hwy 80!
The next thing we all desire are shopping and eating establishments. I signed my family up for Ultimate Fitness. Great to have a full-service facility so close to home. Clean facility, courteous staff and the towel service saves me a bundle on laundry!

Spent some $$ at Radio Shack for Xmas gifts. Don't know if I'll ever make my way to PayLess shoes-but look forward to the other stores in the area to open.

We've encounterered some potholes and traffic jams during our expansion-but things seemed to have slowed down. I was suprised the Vintage Ranch last phase has homes in the $920K price range!

All of us in town want quality services, restaurants and maintain the small-town, family feel. It's up to each of us to make that happen.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

My husband brought me here kicking and a screaming. Once we arrived I fell in love with American Canyon. It was a blessing to find a home here. My neighbors are wonderful, the teachers and principal are awesome at Donaldson way. People actually smile at each other and will hold the door up open for you. It seems like everyone is yielding for each other at the stop sign. American Canyon residents are polite, generous and kind. Who wouldn't want to live here.

We have plenty of activities for young kids, now we just need to beef up on some teen activities. I am sure now that we have the AC community resource center many things will change for needy people of american canyon.

The only thing American Canyon needs to decide is what type of community are we? What will truly bring us a stable environment of having a balanced infrustructure and eminities and budget.