New Calling!!!

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

New Calling!!!

Post by ac94503 »

Well, I guess you have to do what you have to do to keep a "captive" audience...

AmCan pastor finds new calling as prison chaplain

AMERICAN CANYON - Longtime pastor and community activist Morris Curry Jr. has resigned the leadership of his church to become a full-time chaplain at San Quentin State Prison, he said Tuesday. Curry, 60, gave his last sermon to the congregation of Hosanna Life Renewal Christian Fellowship in American Canyon on Sunday before turning the reins over to the Rev. Cornelius Bracy. Full Story

Times Herald 12/13/06
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

For AC94503

Post by VicRiv »

It's good to see you continue with your uplifting, positive commentary on the good things coming out of American Canyon. (especially in the holiday season).
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Response to VicRiv

Post by ac94503 »

VicRiv,

"For the first time in 21 years, I know what it's like to really pastor," he said.

So what has he been doing in AC for 21 yrs if not "pastoring"?

Sorry you find my post negative, but I found his statement offensive to the many residents that listened to his weekly sermons.

BTW: Merry Christmas!
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Father Francis J. Mulcahy

Post by mattbb61 »

I wish Pastor Curry well in this endeavorous calling. The Lord DID say to go where the sinners are, and I don't recon one could find a larger and meaner collection of those types anywhere else, except perhaps the halls of Congress... And, the Lord DOES work in very mysterious ways.

Good on him; as for me, The likes of a place like that, which shouldn't be housing those types longer than you could stand them up against the nearest wall, repulses me. I'd rather put my salvation efforts into the victims rights arena.

By the way, Stanly "Tookie" Williams just had his first anniversay on December 13th, of being elimintated from our gene pool. I celebrated the memories of his Crip victims; their names are Albert Owens, Yen-Yi Yand, and Tsai-Shai Lin, and Yee-Chen Lin. Please remember the victims.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Matt

Post by ac94503 »

I will agree with one thing that you pointed out...Victims!

I feel that the people that need support and prayer are those that have suffered at the hands of Pastor Curry's new clientele. I have no sympathy for them.

And if there is a God...too late to repent in my book!

Would like to hear others opinion on this subject...It's been pretty quiet out there in cyberland!

MCB? FrankieG? Concerned Mom?

What's going on?
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Well the joke of the day!

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Curry having a captive audience who can "really" show the convicts that anyone can be forgiven there sins. Although they may be forgiven it doesn't mean they won't be punished.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

History Lesson

Post by ac94503 »

AmCan pastor accepts post at San Quentin
By MICHAEL WATERSON
NVP Services
Monday, December 18, 2006 6:09 AM PST
Morris Curry, a longtime fixture of civic and religious life in American Canyon, announced this week that he has stepped down as pastor of Hosanna Life Renewal Christian Fellowship Church and accepted the position of full-time pastor at San Quentin State Prison.

“I’m the pastor for 6,000 men, 720 (of them) on death row,” said Curry. He said that 2,000 people volunteer at the prison, representing 444 churches. Curry said he would be responsible for four services on Sunday and one on Saturday as well as responsibilities during the week.

Curry and his wife and daughter came to American Canyon in 1985 on a domestic mission from a Southern Baptist congregation in Santa Rosa. According to Curry, their first American Canyon church, on Rio Del Mar, was the first start-up multi-ethnic Southern Baptist congregation in the nation. It was more than a church, Curry said; he described it as a “community service agency.”

“Father Pat (Stephens, of Holy Family Church) used the church when he first came here. The city used it. (Former City Manager) Mark Joseph held meetings there, we held town hall meetings. We opened our doors to the community.”

Curry has been involved with many aspects of the community including the start-up of the Boys & Girls Club, the local food bank and Co-Co for Kids, a program that for a number of years helped bring breakfasts to local children. He was president of the chamber of commerce for two terms, ran for city council and was the 2004 Gateway Award winner, an honor bestowed by the city of American Canyon on outstanding residents. A frequent public speaker at city council meetings, Curry has been a vocal opponent of Councilwoman Cindy Coffey and others who opposed the construction of a Wal-Mart Supercenter, calling their opposition, “damaging to the community.” He was a supporter of former City Manager Mark Joseph and was among those who called for former Councilwoman Lori Luporini’s ouster from office claiming she did not actually reside in American Canyon. Luporini ultimately resigned.

Curry said he has volunteered at the prison for 20 years. San Quentin had been without a full-time pastor for two to three years, Curry said, when he applied for the job last summer, thinking he could handle both the responsibilities at the correction facility and those of his AmCan congregation.

“But I can’t be in two places at once,” he said.

Early this week Curry said he still intends to apply for the vacant position on the Napa Valley College board of trustees. Curry ran unopposed for the position in last month’s election, however he was defeated by a candidate who had withdrawn from the race too late to have his name removed from the ballot. The college administration says that the state’s education code requires that the seat now be filled by appointment.

“I owe (applying for the position) to the 1,400 people in the community who voted for me,” said Curry.

Curry said the pastorship of the church will be taken over by congregation member Cornelius Bracy who has been filling in for him since September. He said Hosanna Life Renewal Fellowship numbers 100 congregation members. The church is on Donaldson Way in American Canyon.

Print this story | Email this story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reader comments

No Surprise wrote on December 18, 2006 9:48 PM:
"Pastor Curry has a new "gimmick" every 2 yrs or so...I have to give him credit for being very innovative. As for a seat on NVC...I think the Board of Directors followed the rules and I guess we will see down the road if Pastor Curry deserves a seat. Good Luck at San Quentin...I think I see a book coming...That was a complement... You do write very well... It's just finding the right subject matter and this opportunity may be it!"

Copyright © 2006 Lee Enterprises