Senior Center...

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Senior Center...

Post by ac94503 »

I have lived in AC for over 20 years...I raised my kids with very few services provided by the County or the City.. I have paid taxes.(regardless they are nowhere near what new residents are paying today!)

But...I don't need the services that so many new families need...

I guess at this point, what I would like to see as a priority is a Senior Center for all of us that are aging faster than we care to admit.

I think many of us would like to reconnect with remaining residents that were the volunteers and friends of the past.

I hope the Council and Planning Committee will consider a Center as a priority. There are buildings in town that could be leased for Senior activities. We don't need something new...even though that would be nice!
But just a place to meet and revisit without the time restictions.

I believe this was a dream of Lorraine LaVoy's and I hope someone else will pick up the torch!
M Plate
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by M Plate »

The City has been working on plans for the past two years to convert the current police station to a Senior Center after the police department moves to the new public safety building in next year. The City Council has already approved this in concept and budgeted funds in the Cities Capital Improvement Plan.

Commissioner Al Iliff has been working with seniors on plans for the building. The Commission is currently soliciting input on the center, please contact the Parks and Community Services Director, Randy Davis, or feel free to provide input to the commission.

Thanks
Mathew Plate
Chair Parks and Community Services Commission
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

8) What a great Idea. So when will the new police facilities be done?
M Plate
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by M Plate »

The Public Safety Building should be completed by the middle of next year (2007). I expect at least another 6 months after that for the Senior Center build-out to be completed.

This is optimistic, due to the City's backlog of projects it is hard to move Park and Community Service capital projects through the planning and public works pipeline. City staff have implemented some measures to rectify this (we'll see how well they work).

Mathew Plate
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Okay recently the parks approved $90K for a bocci ball field. Wouldn't this money be better spent on something that would widely be used like a senior facility or improvements to Kimberely field.

By the way when that report coming out on Kimberely Field recommendations? If it has been release when will the public be able to obtain a copy of it. Also has the parks began setting aside funds to redo the field?