The Election and more!

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
ac94503-94803-23456

The Election and more!

Post by ac94503-94803-23456 »

Have we embarassed ourselves enough?

Let the best man or woman win.

Mr. West...I would like to see a candlelite vigil in memory of Philip on the anniversary of his heroic death. I was there for the first and definitely would walk again in his memory.

You may just be the advocate that is needed for so many soldiers that will be returning from Iraq and Afganistan who will need community support.
You can do this with or without a Council seat.

I chose not to re-register on this site and I hope Issa will allow this last post. But...I will be reading!
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

I am sorry to see you are not re-registering. You have brought forth great participation on this forum. The election will be over soon and Nov. 8th will be here.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

AC94503, all I did was disable your account because you had an invalid email address. Its still there, if you want it back email me with a valid email address and I'll enable it. You dont have to re-register. I think you had yahoo and it bounced back with "no user with this email found". I sent you a private message letting you know a week ago.

As a note, every user needs to have a valid email address and it has to remain valid. I will send emails every now and then to make sure.

Thank you.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
Result Seeker

Channel 27

Post by Result Seeker »

Did I understand correctly that Channel 27 will be showing results of today's election in AC?
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

Results are found at this link, I will post when its available and if I havent been to bed yet.

http://www.co.napa.ca.us/GOV/Department ... 00&LID=971
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
Result Seeker

No Offense Issa but...

Post by Result Seeker »

Channel 27 is "Live" somewhat...First time I've seen this in over 20 years.

AC at the moment...Leon Garcia is leading considerably...
Mr. West and Cecil Shaver are leading in the Council race...

It is still early....But interesting to watch.

I beleive this is just absentee ballots counted so far...
Result Seeker

After 8:00 P.M.

Post by Result Seeker »

If a voter is in line before 8:00 P.M. are they turned away or are they allowed to vote? How is the cut-off time decided?
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

Anyone in line by 8pm gets to vote.

Post by Guest »

A friend of ours just got home from the polls - it took her 3 hours to vote!
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

I'm heading out to bed, I'll post the results tomorrow on the front page, in the mean time just check that link, thats where everybody is getting their info from. Stupid democrats won the house, probably the senate too, oh well, I wish them luck. Later.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

Mayor AMERICAN CANYON
8/8 100.00%
Vote Count Percent
NP - LEON GARCIA 1,405 58.59%
NP - CINDY LOU COFFEY 510 21.27%
NP - PAUL J. MAGUIRE 473 19.72%
Write-In 10 0.42%
Total 2,398 100.00%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMERICAN CANYON Member of City Council
8/8 100.00%
Vote Count Percent
NP - DONALD W. CALLISON 895 21.11%
NP - EDWARD WEST 892 21.04%
NP - CECIL BRUCE SHAVER 815 19.23%
NP - JOHN T. MILLER 493 11.63%
NP - KYMBERLEE ANN GILSON 415 9.79%
NP - JAMES LELANDE WALKER 405 9.55%
NP - BILL RUSSELL 309 7.29%
Write-In 15 0.35%
Total 4,239 100.00%

On their website they state everything is not official until December 5th so I wouldnt count on the City Council part of the election to stand where it is just yet, its too close.

Post by Guest »

I was under the impression we had 10 precents (sp) anyone know?
ConcernedMom
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Post by ConcernedMom »

Mayor AMERICAN CANYON
8/8 100.00%
Vote Count Percent
NP - LEON GARCIA 1,405 58.59%
NP - CINDY LOU COFFEY 510 21.27%
NP - PAUL J. MAGUIRE 473 19.72%
Write-In 10 0.42%
Total 2,398 100.00%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question is - do these numbers include absentee votes? If so I think it is pretty sad that out of a city of AT LEAST 12,000 people only 2,300 voted for mayor???? How concerned are the citizens of American Canyon?

Post by Guest »

No this does NOT include absentee votes- There are still approx 2,000 still unaccounted for-

The results are UNOFFICIAL

Post by Guest »

Thank you for clearing that up -- this is a little more reasonable! :D
LOL

Pretty Funny!

Post by LOL »

Anyone else find humor in this one?

NAPA - Pastor Morris Curry Jr. of American Canyon ran an uncontested race to become the newest Napa Valley College board member but still managed to lose in Tuesday's election.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

The Election

Post by mindingcitybiz »

We have 6900 people registered to vote. Napa typically has the highest number of voter turnout in California. With so many important issues on the ballot that is going to cost our pocket books you would think more people would turn out.

On the flip side out those numbers it is more scarey that people go out to vote and have NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE VOTING FOR!

Take for instance measure 90. This measure protects homeowners and landowners from eminent domain by forcing the government to pay fair market value for your property. I am shocked that so many people voted no. Imagine the City Council deciding that your home would make the perfect place for a park and gave you $100k even though your house is worth $600K. People should be concerned here in American Canyon because we will have at least 3 people on our City Council that promote redevelopment and don't have a problem with eminent domain. But don't take my word for it, take theirs. City council minutes and planning commission minutes aren't they wonderful?
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

I dunno how that one didnt pass either. I really wanted McClintock to win this time but oh well, I met the guy in person, hope he runs next time.
ConcernedMom
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Post by ConcernedMom »

MCB: I agree with you also about how scary it is to know people are voting and not really paying attention to the issues. And, yes it is a shock about the eminent domain issue. I would have thought people would be more concerned about their homes. GO FIGURE!!!

I have to say I really was not happy with most results .... but also figure that is what we are all about -- the freedom of choice!! The only thing I have an intolerance for is people complaining and when I ask - "Well, did you vote?" -- and I get a response "No" -- the way I see it you have no right to complain if you didn't even vote!!! Sorry - just getting on my little "soapbox" -- will step down now.

Issa - we wanted McClintock also --- hopefully next time!!!
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

I agree with you there and it is my "Mantra" also. Don't vote, Don't complain. Don't Vote only blame yourself for having to work harder and pay more taxes.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mattbb61 »

My God. Jerry Brown, the mayor of the crime ridden streets of Oakland is now our "Top-Cop?" Anyone care to explain how HE was a better choice than his opponent? :?

"NO" on having doctors tell the parents that THEIR CHILDREN are seeking to KILL their own unborn CHILDREN? Where is the "Pro-Choice" given to we parents? Any Planned Parenthood SS trooper want to explain why as a parent I have no right to know? :twisted:

Pathetic Kalifornia voters. :roll:
Colleen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Post by Colleen »

mattbb61 - Perhaps it is best that you don’t have the “right to know” because you may use the word KILL in a discussion with your child. You say “we parents”, so I hope you have considered the possible conversation with your daughter/son who may end up in this position and what you would say to them. You have the right to your opinion and I to mine – and our child(ren) to there’s as well – and I’ll pray that during that conversation you never use the word KILL.

As far as being a Planned Parenthood SS Trooper - well, I’ll put in my opinion from where my mind went when reading that word, as I have seen it from a different/inside perspective for years. Does it address your concern about being left out of the decision your child(ren) may make? Honestly, it does not. You need to address this concern with your child(ren) and start the dialog now if you have this concern. You have the opportunity with a segue way to the conversation because of the Proposition being passed. Hard to do? Absolutely! But please don’t blame a “Pathetic Kalifornia voter” or a health service provider if you do not take the time to do just that.

My opinion...
PP not a killing factory. It is PLANNED Parenthood. In fact, my former mother-in-law started the Infertility Clinic of Planned Parenthood in Oakland in the ‘70s and has helped hundreds of babies come into the world. She was highly regarded in her field, often speaking at Stanford and other educational facilities on infertility issues and therefore teaching others in the medical field who were/would be working with couples trying to have babies. This because of Planned Parenthood, as they asked her to start this clinic at their site in Oakland, and she shared her insight with others from there. She lives in American Canyon now – and we’re great friends – perhaps I should call in the troops.

I have a few questions that I ask you – and others – to simply look inside and think about. Again, we all have our opinions and strong beliefs on this issue and I do not attempt to try to change anyone’s mind, nor will you change mine. I just ask from one human to another the following:

1) Have you ever spoken with a girl/woman/couple who is pregnant and cannot afford to raise the child, or a girl/woman who is not in the physical condition to be able to have a healthy pregnancy and therefore healthy baby and listened to the sorrow they are going through realizing the decision they have had to make?

If you have, I applaud you. If you haven’t, please do not judge.

2) Have you ever offered to help a girl/woman/couple in this position so they are able to have the child instead of making the heart wrenching decision of terminating the pregnancy?

If you have, I applaud you. If you haven’t, please do not judge.

3) Have you ever been inside a Planned Parenthood and asked them what the clinic is completely about?

If you have, I applaud you, but think you need another look. If you haven’t, perhaps you could – but please, do not judge those already inside.

As a woman, mother - and a catholic! - I ask that you please reevaluate using the word KILL. And yes, I do realize that there are those who appear to almost use terminating a pregnancy like it was a method of birth control, and I do not understand how than can do so and strongly feel they’ll have to answer to those choices in the end. But for all of those with the memories of what they went through in making a life-changing decision as well as going through the procedure itself, the birthdays they would have loved to have celebrated and have a hard time getting through another would-be birthday month thinking about what could have been if they had been in a different position...please do not judge...and please do not use the word KILL.

Post by Guest »

I believe Matt used the right word according to the dictionary ......

kill  /kɪl/ –verb (used with object)
1. to deprive of life in any manner; cause the death of; slay.
2. to destroy; do away with; extinguish:

Tell me -- why was Scott Peterson convicted of "killing" his unborn son -- but a woman can walk into a doctor's office and for whatever reason ask the doctor to stop the life of the child growing inside her - is she not guilty of the same thing? According to the definition of "kill" I would say she is. We live in a society today where there are tons of options for "unwanted" children. There are thousands of couples longing for a child who would provide wonderful, loving homes. We have laws now that you can surrender your baby with NO QUESTIONS asked. -- We couldn't have it any easier!! I often think how many great doctors, scientists, inventors have been "killed" because their birth was an inconvience to their mother.

I am disheartened that such a proposition was passed. While I work in the education field -- I can not understand why it is that as a teacher I could be in legal trouble for taking a student off campus for a field trip without a permission slip, but yet I can take them to an abortion clinic and no problem. Something wrong with that picture! - Also, with so much of the "sex scandals" happening in schools - what is to keep an adult teacher from getting a girl pregnant and then taking her to get an abortion - all without her parents knowledge while covering his butt!!

I do agree that it begins in your home and the way you educate your children - and you should begin sooner than later. But reality is that there are so many out there who undermine the authority of the home.
Colleen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Post by Colleen »

Yes, the definition may be Webster-friendly, but my point is that many girls/women/couples do not make this decision lightly but for many reasons may have had to do so, and for them I feel for. You say we have so many choices now. We do have more than ever before with the safe havens to surrender the babies and adoptions, I absolutely agree. The fact is still that many people cannot support the PREGNANCY itself...be it healthwise or moneywise...and for those girls/women/couples - again - I feel for. Scott Peterson is a whole other story and I won't get into the length of Laci's pregnancy when her life - and the baby's - was taken. As I wrote...I am not trying to change anyone's mind nor will you change mine. I want to stress that we must talk to our children and not judge others for the choice they have had to make. The Walk In Their Shoes theory more than applies.
Concerned Citizen

What???

Post by Concerned Citizen »

What is this about...the election is over...live with it!

Paul Maguire, who finished behind Garcia and Cindy Coffey in this election said in an e-mail he is exploring “a run at Joan Bennett’s seat with a recall replace campaign in the spring.”

Maguire, who has never held office, was running for the third time for City Council office.

Bennett, who was elected in a special election in June, when asked on Monday about Maguire’s plan said “This is the first I’ve heard of it.”

AC Eagle today.
Johnny Come Lately

Joan Bennett

Post by Johnny Come Lately »

Well, the only thing I could say have you ever watched Joan at the City Council Meetings? She is ill pre-prepared and does not understand basic information given to her by people. I had to laugh at the previous City Council when she asked a question as usual that had already been answered and Ben Andersen said "It's okay I will explain it to her". Between Joan not being prepared and Leon para-phrasing another council members statements I don't know what is worse. Let's just say Channel 28 won't be winning prizes for the American Canyon City Council Meetings.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

UNDER THE TOPIC PORTION OF "MORE"

Post by mattbb61 »

Colleen: (All others, please bear with me while I post this response).

1) I have indeed held conversation with a woman who was pregnant and made the fateful decision (her “choice”) to “terminate” her unborn baby. She is my own sister, and still carries the emotion scars of that decision. I will never know that niece or nephew who never had a chance to live thanks to the decision of that young and misguided young girl so many years ago. She too is now a Catholic, and helps women avoid the mistake she herself made. My wife and I speak often to our daughter in depth about many evils. I pray she never sets foot into one of those clinics. But to be fair, just what do I know? I’m not a woman, and have no voice or choice in such matters; its not a baby, just a ball of tissue. I’m just a man, only a father. I have to walk in a woman’s shoes… etc… *sigh*

2) I do NOT know of anyone in the position as you described. I don’t have to in order to judge. It is indeed a hard choice, but it remains what it is. We took our pet Golden Retriever into the vet back in 2001. She was dying from an inoperative tumor. We could have spent the $1,200.00 for surgery which would have kept the dog alive for a few more months, but no. We had the dog murdered. Oh wait, I’m sorry; we had it clinically “put down.” You could have called it a “mercy (Eugenics) killing,” but it was a killing none the less. It was a hard choice which we still live with.

3) I’ve never graced a Planned Parenthood (PP) “Clinic” nor plan to; I’ve likewise never visited a National spam Party “Final Solution Center” either, but according to historical documents, the number of human beings which were killed in those places pale in comparison to the amount of human life snuffed out at those hallowed PP Clinics. All I ever needed to see were photos of the results of a woman’s hallowed right to choose. THAT is ALL I need see.

I remember how the PP henchmen and collaborators visibly and physically bristled with hatred when Laci Peterson’s unborn baby (may they both rest in peace) was actually referred to something more than a fetus! I watched their body language and looked into their eyes when they spoke on the news about the unmitigated gall of (*huff-huff*) those trying to foist the truth upon the public! How DARE they! The raw anger and pure evil showed through with crystal clarity during those days. I shall never forget them.

I do not understand how a self-professed Catholic (a disciple of Christ) can advocate the sterile, clinical expunging of untold millions of unborn babies for the short term and irresponsible monetary convenience of the mothers. I am sure this viewpoint causes his holiness Pope Benedict XVI untold indigestion as he hears this type of call for change within the church (may it stand solid and unyielding to such dark and evil forces). Now, were I in possession of such a view point, I would most definitely be thinking about writing my excuse for supporting these views right now, as it may help me from stammering when I stand before our Lord Jesus Christ on Judgment Day. I am sure the Lord would love to my excuses as he weeps. Truth does not always have a happy smiling face.

I have already used the word kill many, many times with my daughter. Sugarcoating the reality of this world does a disservice to the truth. I do not kow-tow to the liberal Goddess of Political Correctness. A doctor who performs an abortion for monetary expediency is an accessory to murder in my book, period. In the end, death is death, murder is murder. The National spam made choices they though they too had to make. Ought not I judge them either? Many people find their way to the hot place (don’t want to say the “H” word). Some of use the stairs, others take the express elevator.
Colleen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Post by Colleen »

Matt -

Thank you for your heartfelt response. I applaud you for talking with your sister and daughter and pray you continue open dialogue with those faced with making this decision.

I am not an "advocate" of abortion, but an "advocate" of those who live with this memory and never took this decision lightly, which for them is why I responded to your post.

I feel what is being forgotten here is...COUPLES...in this situation and I keep seeing COUPLES being left out. Is it ultimately the girl's/woman's decision? Yes it is. But women this and women that? Many men have been involved in this decision as well because - as a couple - they have made this decision.

You say your sister has scars to this day - as do many girls/women/couples that I know - in making this decision. AGAIN, for them - and your sister - I feel for. This is my point Matt, and this is where I ask all to keep an open heart for THEM. Not the "I have to walk in a woman's shoes" as you mention. I never played the uterus card nor would I ever take a man's feelings about HIS baby lightly. Many shoes need to be walked in when thinking about this decision.

Am I a self-professed Catholic (a disciple of Christ), yes I am. And I am quite comfortable with the relationship He and I have. You know, I have a aunt and uncle who go to church everyday and pray the rosary every night, and stand strong against a girl's/women's/couple's choice. And, quite honestly, they are two of the most un-Christian-like people in how they live their everyday life I have ever met. They will be the first to chastise, yet never lend a hand. Will they be greeted with open arms through the Gates before me because of my opinion in this matter? (Which, I will state AGAIN, my opinion is to please not judge, as many wished they never felt they had to make this decision. Many (like your sister) are living each day with this and never took it lightly - and for them I feel for.)

Only time will tell who the Gates get opened for...God bless us all.
resident

Decision on Wal-Mart...

Post by resident »

So...what are the options for the use of this building at this point?
Could another big box like Lowes or Home Depot come to town in place of Walmart or is this just a delay of the inevitable?

Post by Guest »

Or maybe, just maybe they could put the walls back in and have a few smaller stores - like that Trader Joes we've been posting about! They could also put in a World Market or something - Let's class up Am Can, not make Walmart the center of attention!
3 Amigos

Walmart

Post by 3 Amigos »

We don't need no stinking big box stores in american canyon!!!
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mattbb61 »

IF Wal-Mart is not allowed to occupy that building, I have no doubt that something can be arranged to section it into two, or even three stores, just as Vallejo has with Michael's, Linens and things, and Old Navy. Any replacement retailer wouldn't have to BUILD their store, as Wal-Mart has been doing. There should be some incentive in that...
AC94503-

Who Knew?

Post by AC94503- »

I wonder if the Council and Planning Commission knew they were planning to build a new Walmart "SuperCenter" at the old Kmart site in Vallejo when they approved this project?

Looks to me like we were dupped!
Itsy Bitsy

WM & City council

Post by Itsy Bitsy »

The City Council was informed of WM's habits of building stores within 3 miles of each other. They were also told by Walmart and Buzz Butler that the current WM in Vallejo was not relocating to American Canyon. Yet on all the recent planning documents it has the vallejo store number with the letter A. Truly how much tax money do you think we will be getting with the new two story mega store opening 3 miles away?

Secondly, will we receive enough tax money to pay the police department for Walmart's Zero Tolerance theft program? Even long term resident Fran Lemos who favors the Walmart in AC stated at the City Council meetings in 2004 that she wants to shop locally, but yet still goes to the gym 3 times a week in Vallejo instead of our local gym.
ac94503-

reply to itsy bitsy..

Post by ac94503- »

I think it is unfair of you to talk about "Frans" quest for amenities in AC and then slap her for contributing to a Vallejo gym. How do you know what kind of contract she has with a gym in Vallejo? That to me is a low blow!
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Low Blow?

Post by mindingcitybiz »

I am sorry that you feel I am being rude towards Fran. Those were her exact words at two different city council meetings during public comments.

There are 3 gyms in Vallejo Gold's, Olympic & 24 hour. I don't know what her contract is with those gym's, I do know all three have month to month contracts and you can pay one year in advance. I have been receiving advertisements for the new gym in AC for over a year.

If residents speak up publicly about wanting new businesses to come to American Canyon so we can keep our tax dollars local we need to support those businesses. It is hard to imagine people coming from Vallejo to dine or workout unless they work in American Canyon.
AC94503-

MCB?

Post by AC94503- »

My reply was addressed to Itsy Bitsy...but YOU posted:

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 Post subject: Low Blow?

I am sorry that you feel I am being rude towards Fran. Those were her exact words at two different city council meetings during public comments.

What's up?

I also agree that with over 100 registered users, no one else has an opinion regarding the Napa Junction 3 project decision by the Council on Tuesday.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Moving On!

Post by mindingcitybiz »

The election is over we need to focus on the community and look forward to encouraging new educated people who live in our community to run for city council in the next election.