Election Signs

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
49erf8fuls
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Election Signs

Post by 49erf8fuls »

Mr. Maguire, I believe in a previous post you stated that if any of your signs were placed illegally you would remove them. I would like clarification as to how the following signs are placed legally.

1. The corner of Theresa and Eucalyptis road? I believe it is on city property, outside of the home owners property line. If it were hanging on the home owners fence then it would be legally placed.

2. On Broadway cross street of mini drive near the train tracks in solano county. How is this placed on private property with the owners permission?
I dont believe this is private property? I could be wrong if I am please set me straight.

3. I also noticed one on the fence on the corner of mini drive and hwy 29. I admit I am not sure this one is placed illegally it could be private property and you could have the owners permission just wondering is this one placed correctly per the rules of the elections.

I hope you can explain how these signs where placed and how permission was granted for them. My vote for Mayor has not been decided YET!.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

TV Commercial for Mayor

Post by ac94503 »

I was sitting here watching MSNBC about the idiot that said he killed Jon Bennet and here airs a commercial by the "Committee to Elect Dr. Paul Maguire". I realize that Mr. Maguire is a Chiropractor, but I was taken back since this title has not used in previous Council runs.
Paul, I'm sorry but it reminded me of Pastor, Reverend, Mr. P.H.D. (whatever) Curry. I'm not sure that this is the right approach, but that is your decision.
A message to Vic Riv...apparently it is about the signs........
Mel
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Mel »

I can tell you for sure that your #2 question regarding the property Paul's sign is on is HIS property. He owns it. That's all I can say. HAve a nice week.
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Your post 49 er fan

Post by Paul Maguire »

My vote for Mayor has not been decided YET!.

Oh I think it has, and you are being insincere here.

You have accused me of " skirting around the issues" in another post, and have contributed to the "whispering campaign" by your comments of "who knows where he lives or doesn't live".

The fact is that your post this time is completely about re -raising the sign issue, and taking a shot at me on the sign issue, which you did fairly poorly, considering you are questioning me about a sign on my own property.

It appears to me that you are being underhanded here. making false accusations outright on another post about "one of the mayoral candidates" residency, which has absolutely NO BASIS IN FACT at all!
No, your post is more of the same, small town politics, the underhanded kind.

Furthermore, with all due respect to your apparent friend Mr West who I like personally, who you so elegently thanked in another post, no response was forthcoming to my question of " who has a residency issue in this campaign" which he cannot answer, because, NO ONE DOES!

And of course, he did not answer. So now you start another thread about signs, since the last one went dead.

This is again the dishonest, rumor spreading, gossip, and whisper campaigns that some wish to spread. either directly or indirectly, for the sole purpose of trying to win an election, that they otherwise may not have a chance at all of winning on the merits, the issues, and the records of the candidates.

And Sir, with all due respect to you, that IS a reflection of Character!

So we have a choice here in American Canyon: we can continue these games of backstabbing, false claims/accusations, rumor spreading, criticism, we v them, etc, which is destructive to a community, devisive, and causes the splintering of the community in cliques or groups, fighting against one another.....

Or

We can decide that we are better than that, and that as a group, we are more effective, than as individuals. That is what a community is about, working together for the common good.

That is what I will do as Mayor of American Canyon, and that is the direction our community needs to move towards in my view. As a community, we need to knock off all this infighting, and put the collective talents together towards improving our community, fixing the traffic issue, handling the water situation, and a host of other concerns that will come out in this campaign.

Sure we will disagree from time to time, strongly disagree even, but lets keep the arguments honest of the issues, and not create issues which are not there, or spread rumors as fact, which have no basis at all.

Good luck to you and your candidates.
49erf8fuls
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Post by 49erf8fuls »

And you just skirted around all my questions by not answering any of them You said in your prior post, if someone thinks there is a problem to just let you know.
And no my mind on Mayor isnt made up YET, Not until I hear from all the candidates. And as for your residency, I heard you skirt around this issue during the last campaign and you are skirting around it again.
Too bad there arent any forums where the residence get to actually speak to the canadates and personally ask them questions instead of writting them on cards and having them edited. Then we might see the true sides of all the candidates
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Paul Maguire »

Well, there you go again making false accusations, that I skirted around the residency issue in the last election:

I completely reject that allegation, it is untrue, has no basis in fact at all, and is completely and totally made up. In fact, in the forums we were all asked to state where we lived, and I did like everyone else.

And again, you make a Totally and utterly false and untrue allegation. Your dirty politics, again. Trying to create something when there is nothing there. How about coming out against 3 candidates for elected office changing the sign ordinance in the middle of an election that all three of them are running in!

Do you have a name? Will you disclose who you are?

I have no problem at all with the signs posted. The only individuals making noise about the signs are candidates and their allys.

I am sure we will all hear more on this issue throughout the campaign. What you wont hear, is any complaints about non American Canyon Candidates, like Congressional races, State Races, Propositions, or other non American Canyon signs. You certainly did not hear anything about it in the last election as evidence of what this is really about: Politics!
smrtamcan
Informant
Informant

Post by smrtamcan »

It appears the sign ordinance was more important even though you said it wasn't, it was sooooooooooo important that you filed against the city of amcan under Freedom of Speech, you were not treated any differently than any other candidates, no you are asking for special privledges which the rest are not entitled to. hmmmm.

Fact: 2 out of 3 candidates running for Mayor have sued the City, or at minimum encouraged a lawsuit against the residents here.(Tax Dollars which also pay for the wages people in this town have to pay to defend us against this domestic problem).
Understand that as Walmart does not open, we are losing, we won't be able to keep the tax dollars even if we get them at this rate of people suing us. We need to find away to protect this city and that would be by who you elect in November.
One council candidate may have a bookeeping problem, might have to be looked into, i just heard.
One Council candidate trys hard but over the top for council chambers, yet still trys hard and could do well if he doesn't consider grouping with 2 women on his run for office. It would be political suicide for him to group with the other 2. One goes they all go, might have to relook at him again, thought he was smarter than that, we will see.
one council candidate has come so far and has learned the Public relations approach very well-it's working!!
one council candidate-wants what's best for the community! Yep we need that really bad right now!
one Mayor candidate has not sued the city and is speaking much faster to the point-GOOD Job, we can tell your heart is there but now we get it faster and like the quicker responce time!
one mayor candidate has stayed aloof lately and haven't seen her signs, perhaps we will see her at the debates. When are those?
Then there is One who may no longer be in the race, well whatever his idea was, he can remember it for the next time he runs(runs away from this city, oh yeh according to his seminar, this small town city).
WHEN IS THE DEBATE FOR MAYORS & COUNCIL CANDIDATES?
I THINK THIS TOWN IS READY FOR ONE!! GET YOUR QUESTIONS READY AND HEY, DON'T FORGET TO GET IT TELEVISED, MAYBE YOU SHOULD DO THEM AT THE RECREATION ROOM EARLY AND ALL THE CAMERAS ARE THERE AND CHAIRS TOO!! WE LIKE THAT AREA THE BEST FOR THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE WHO SHOW UP-SOMEONE CALL THE EAGLE, THE POST, THE CHAMBER, THE TIMES, THE CITY AND LETS GET ALL OUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED, BY THE WAY CANDIDATES DON'T LOOK DOWN, SIGN OF WEAKNESS.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!!

Post by Guest »

So, you are saying that I could have 2 signs, sized 4x8 in my front yard? Good to know!
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Clarification

Post by VicRiv »

You can have as many signs as you want in your yard-as long as they don't exceed 64 sq feet.( the total of two 4x8 monster signs) These are the huge ones the size of a sheet of plywood.

So technically, you can have 4 smaller signs-if the dimensions don't exceed 2x4 or the 64 sq ft total.

So the residents who have , as an example Yes on G, and three candidate signs are well within the parameters.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Response to Smrtamcan

Post by ac94503 »

I find your post disturbing in that you talk about candidates without saying who they are. If someone has bookkeeping problems, grouping together for a 2nd ticket, or out of the race.. etc...( that you decided to reveal)
Why not say it straight out!

What is this "Who's Who in Am Can" game that you decided to play on this web site?

I'm sorry but if Smrtamcan...really means Smart in Am Can...I think you are hooked up to the rumor mill but "Smart" I question.
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Paul Maguire »

ac94503

I agree with you. It is the rumor mill in action again.

The fact remains that this do nothing city council has been ineffective in solving the issues of American Canyon and people know it.

I know it too. I hear it all the time from the residents of this community, and the fact is they are fed up with the status quo.

Their campaigns are in trouble, their losing by survey.

This rumor mill is all part of a very negative campaign which they already started and it will get worse. Thats all they got, because they cannot win on the issues.

No, they try to take candidates out with Fair Political Practices Complaints, true or not, they file them....try to use government agencies to issue citations or warning letters to use on the campaign, attempt to SPIN news , and effectively create "problems" that are just not there, then promote it till the campaign is over. Thats their tactics.

Its not only about winning, its about trying to wreck others, something one particular candidate has had alot of experience at.

The fact is they have failed to correct those things for which they were elected.

They have failed to keep promises made on development.

They have spent thousands and thousands of city tax dollars without results.

They have enacted an illegal ordinance in hopes of squashing the competing candidates.

They have demonstrated that they do not have what it takes to deal with real issues, and real solutions.

And apparently, from some of the posts here. some of their supporters dont believe in government either, at least the judicial branch. No, this council prefer to do what ever the heck they want, and have for years, at the expense of others.

And nothing upsets them more than residents or candidates calling them them on it or pointing it out.

That was in part why the 94503 group started. I dont agree with them on their candidate choice, but I agree with their enthusiasm to do something about whats gone on here, and their well thought out proposal onthe mayors office duties. That was why the Citizens for Responsible Growth was started regarding Wal Mart, and that is working its way through the courts. Before the day is done, American Canyon might actually change history and make law as the result of their lawsuit.

But mostly, that is why, however unpopular to some in this town, we have elections to challenge the status quo and bring fourth the candidates who will actually do something about the problems, other than the lip service we have seen for years around here.

Spin, Spin, Spin

Post by Guest »

My head is spinning. Everybody can be at fault, everybody can have issues. But as I have read in the past a good portion of this city's woes were brought forward by the former city manager. Unless the council hears from the public, or witnesses problems they only react on what is brought forward. That is where the problems begin. Turning over elected officials control to a salaried employee. Passing the buck and not looking back.

Yes I agree that some of the problems demand immediate attention, but it has been pointed out that there is a staff shortage, selective processing, favoritism, and possible oversights.

Is this election about these frivolous issues where once again somebody comes forward to convolude the actual election discussion that ac94503 and I have been trying to perpetuate. Yes I get on my soapbox occasionally but only after I read a whole heap of cow manure. It just gets old.

Mr. Maguire quit pointing fingers and give us some solutions. I think that if you take the time to learn actual issues you may be pretty darn good at it but you never give us a peek at that as you are always attacking.

Mr. West and Mr. Callison please for the love of God stop the tap dance of your conjoined letters and responses. You promote that you each have a brain but it's like you don't at this time. Give us something new pleeeasse.

Also VicRiv I am most certain you are understanding the sign ordinance incorrectly as that isn't what I saw, you might want to reread it again. Also thanks to VicRiv for being American Canyon's own Hedda Hopper (sp) the only thing missing with your celebrity sightings is what they were wearing and which hotel they checked into. Leave it to VicRiv to give the attendance report with every event in town. As long as you are there and having a good time what the heck does it matter? huh?
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Thanks

Post by VicRiv »

RRRey-or as some of us have dubbed you "Mr. Negativity"
Step away from the keyboard and please get out more.

Apparently just reading about people outside of their homes enjoying what AmCan has to offer is just too much for you to bear.

Being out in the sun with real, breathing people having fun- will not only help your complexion-but can only improve your disposition.

Have a nice evening-that isn't asking too much, is it??
mookienunu
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

REPRESENTATION OF AMERICAN CANYON

Post by mookienunu »

As we draw closer to election time, there are many issues, personality conflicts, and the list can go on of differences. But can we keep in mind that we would like our city of american canyon represntatives to be professionally responsible as well as being personally responsible. Individuals who cannot handle their own personal finances should not try to take on the city. This is why a complete background check should be implemented. It's all about accountability, credibility not popularity. At least we hope.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Background checks

Post by ac94503 »

It's already been done so who are you talking about ?

AmCan candidates come up pretty clean
By KERANA TODOROV, Register Staff Writer
Monday, June 5, 2006 1:12 AM PDT
A recent background check of the six American Canyon City Council candidates on the June 6 ballot revealed that two candidates had filed for bankruptcy while a third had been involved in a court battle with tenants of a building he owned in Alameda County.

The background check was done by the Register and its sister paper, the American Canyon Eagle.

The check revealed no history of criminal activity with any of the candidates. The search of criminal, civil and bankruptcy filings came up with no significant matters involving three of the candidates, Joan Bennett, Bill Russell and James Walker.

Two other candidates, John T. Miller and Edward West, filed for bankruptcy, in 2002 and 1993 respectively.

Both said they filed for bankruptcy because of outstanding family medical bills.

"It was a medical thing," said Miller, who declined further comment.

Candidate Paul Maguire, was involved in a lawsuit in Alameda County in 2001. An Alameda County jury found Maguire liable for discriminating against black tenants at a rental building in Oakland.

Anne Tamiko Omura, executive director for the Eviction Defense Center, a tenants' rights group in Oakland, and Philip Rapier, one of the attorneys who represented the tenants in the case, said racial discrimination findings are uncommon.

"It's very rare," said Rapier, a lawyer based in Oakland.

Maguire said the accusation was unfair and that it is common for landlords and tenants to get in disputes. He also charged it was inappropriate to raise the matter when substantive issues involving the future of American Canyon should be the subject of debate.

Maguire, a retired chiropractor and real estate investor, later settled a civil suit brought by the tenants, court documents indicate.

In court papers, the black tenants alleged that Maguire had evicted black tenants and replaced them with Latino immigrants less likely to fight higher rents Maguire had imposed.

Maguire, who owns properties in American Canyon, San Ramon, Castro Valley, Fairfield and other cities, recently stressed he had never discriminated against anyone.

"It was a landlord-tenant dispute," said Maguire, 42. "It happens all the time down there."

Print this story | Email this story
mookienunu
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Background checks

Post by mookienunu »

Aren't we missing a few names? ie: Leon Garcia, Cindy Coffey?

Post by Guest »

Maybe there is nothing to report? Unless you have some info not posted? You seem to have it out for Coffee, so let's hear what you got!
mookienunu
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

background checks

Post by mookienunu »

Not anything that you cannot find online, mind you for a nominal fee.

Post by Guest »

Well, like I said. Let's hear what you got? If anything. These innuendos about council members is getting old. I haven't been here in American Canyon all that long, but ever since my neighbor told me about this site, I have been interested in what goes on here. I haven't seen Coffee do or say anything that should be red flagged. I understand she was a member of a group to keep Walmart out, but stepped down when she was elected. So what's the problem? You don't like her, there are many people who feel the same about Mr Garcia and every other candidate. I see her asking questions, demanding answers. I see Garcia pretty much as a yes man. I see Mayor Shaver looking at others for guidance. I see Joan Benet hating that she and Coffee are on the same council. But I see her asking questions too. Mr Anderson, I have had the pleasure of meeting at a soccer game when I was working in the canteen, I like him and I understand his reasons for leaving the council. But my question is this, why won't you just say what you are insinuating?
mookienunu
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

background checks

Post by mookienunu »

It appears that you know enough about everyone else that you don't need my help, you have it all covered and quite nicely.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Response to Mookienunu

Post by ac94503 »

You may want to read some of the prior election garbage that has been posted on this site through the last couple of elections. I posted the article from the register because it printed right before the election and was meant to hurt Mr. Maguire in the polls. And I do believe it worked.
Without any time for an explanation from Mr. Maguire before residents had to vote. I wasn't happy to read that he was "prejudice" against the black community(according to the article). But if you listen to his explanation of that particular suit, I think you will walk away with a different impression than the spin that worked. I however will not vote for him this time around due to his lawsuit regarding "signs".

Let's go back even farther. I did not vote for Cindy or Lori because of the negative posts that were on this site...Anyone remember Pumpkin? It became so personal and cruel. Didn't we learn anything from that? I do feel that Cindy represents my interests in this City. She is quick and quite capable of handling herself under much criticism. She has my vote!

Mr. Garcia may be a wonderful human being. However, he is not showing the passion I want in a candidate...My impression.

Cecil Shaver, a comedian. Not a bad thing...but has made some very inappropriate statements regarding several issues one that comes to mind ... remarks made to the Open Space Group. "Tree Huggers" and "Eco-Nuts"? God help us.

This is my take on this election...

RRR or "Mr. Negative" as some of us have become to know you...VicRiv...
I enjoy your posts and think you were right on about the "Hedda Hopper"
comparison, I am still laughing...
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Eagle Article

Post by VicRiv »

Kerana was hired before the election because of her investigative background. That element was lacking from the Eagle. She decided, with the editor's approval, to investigate the backgrounds of the candidates. It wasn't meant to hurt anyone-but to inform.
If they decide to 'investigate' all the candidates, I think it's fair.

Mr. Maguire actually got about 75-90 votes more than the last time he ran for council-so it didn't hurt him. I don't see West complaining that it hurt his run for office or was unfair-all circumstances have another side of the story.

"I see Joan hating that she and Coffey are on the same council"..That's nonsense. Joan has handled herself with total professionalism and maturity. She has also demonstrated she has a clear understanding of the issues.

We all have our own decision making processes and criteria for who we believe shares our vision and 'passion'. It's discussing the facts, issues and listening to solutions that also makes a difference.
Frankie G
Informant
Informant

Post by Frankie G »

I have a question. I was under the impression that signs were not to be lit up? Is this so? Can I put a spot light on my Cindy sign?
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Signs

Post by ac94503 »

Are we not beyond this sign thing?

Please, "Stop" the nonsense and start talking about the real issues that your neighborhoods face with the daily changes to American Canyon.

Give suggestions to improve...maybe someone is listening.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELVES

Post by mattbb61 »

Candidates, both victor and vanquished.

If you havent already done so, I and many other citizens would appreciate if you would kinkly take a drive around our small city, and where ever you find a sign ON PUBLIC PROPERTY with your name on it, take the personal resolve and responsibility to take it down.

If it has YOUR name, then it's YOUR sign.

Lets put this issue six feet under NOW.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

actually they have 10 days after the election. of course those on City council are the only ones who seem to know the law they imposed.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mattbb61 »

I took a ride to Fairfiled for a book signing this afternoon, and noticed only two remianing signs along the entire route, both of which COULD be on public property, so it appears as though the clean up has already taken place. Great job to whom ever did the deed. No big deal, I just though it would be nice to see them all gone asap. \:D/