Support our Troops

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.

Support our Troops

Post by Guest »

I have an idea for a fundraiser for the "Support Our Troops" organization. As Sindy said the other night at the council meeting, this group is gearing up for providing Christmas overseas. I suggest, that like Unicef use to go door to door and collect money on Halloween, American Canyon residents, while out with their children could pull off a large scale collection drive that evening for our troops. I would hope many residents would be interested in participating.

Support Our Troops Continued...

Post by Guest »

If a representative from each subdivision enlisted volunteers and assigned specific streets for each individual there would not be any duplication on collection from the same households. Also, possibly one of the kid organizations here in AC could make-up some type of a collection can for this fundraising event.

Why I posted this topic on this site...

Post by Guest »

I would like to explain why I posted this "Support the Troops" fundraising idea on this site. I had hoped that there would be some feedback in support of an idea to help the troops overseas. All of the bickering aside, here is a positive action the members and guests of this forum could grab ahold of and help with as what I see as a very worthy cause. Regardless of the off-topic pro and cons, I doubt that any of us do not respect the men and women serving our country. I have since e-mail ACTS with the request that they view this topic for a possible fundraiser.

Post by Guest »

I do think your idea is a good one, however, the only draw back is that ACTS will be shipping the holiday care packages out right after Halloween. ACTS begins shipping holiday care packages right around Halloween and then no later than the first week of November...for a couple of reasons...One... it can take a package two to three weeks to arrive in Iraq or Afghanistan ...the second being is ACTS does not want to clog the mail up during the holidays that could possibly delay our troops from receiving packages from their own families.
Last year shipping cost for the Christmas holiday packages ran just below $1500.00...shipping is our biggest expense. During the holidays we ship coffee, hot chocolate, hot apple cider, Christmas stockings (with calling cards & other stuffers), coffee makers, power converters, three ft. tall Christmas trees with decorations & lights, lifesaver storybooks, DVDs, games, cookies, truffles and many other holiday treats........just little reminders of home.
What are also needed are signed Christmas cards...or better yet, holiday cards made by school age children.....
Keep these great ideas going...the only concern I would like to share is that the donation process would need to be monitored...in the attempt to prevent others from fraudulently soliciting donations under ACTS name and then keeping the donations for themselves. Thank you for taking the time for this great idea...and thank you for thinking of our troops. Please keep our troops in your hearts and prayers for their safe return home. Sindy...American Canyon Troop Support.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

The best way to support Sindy and her Troop Support is to send her donations for shipping. Even a dollar goes a long way, if you want to help, send her a buck. Send her 5, send her 10, whatever you can afford. She does a good service for our troops and its a good way if you want to help her give a smile to our hardworking men/women overseas. I am proud to donate part of the profits from this site to her and will continue to do so.
Sindy

American Canyon Troop Support

Post by Sindy »

Thank you Issa for your donation to ACTS and thank you for supporting our troops!!!! As I said before, the holidays can be really hard on our overseas troops as they are away from their loved ones and in an unfamiliar land. This is when they really need to see our show of support. Monetary and product donations are gladly accepted.....as well as postive cards and letters. Thank you again Issa for your recent donation (I sent you a note via snail mail....I hope you recieved it)....and thanks for doing such a great job on this site!!!! :D Sindy
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Troop Support

Post by ac94503 »

Mr. West,

I would really appreciate it if you could share why you feel demonstrators against the war in Iraq disrespect your son's memory. You more than anyone could enlighten us.

I have read before that people cannot support the troops if they do not believe in the president's plan for Iraq. I have a problem with that statement...My feeling is I don't want anyone to experience your loss...I will give what I can to hopefully bring a moment of happiness to any soldier in the field. At the same time I am extremely thankful it isn't my child.

This post is not meant to offend you or your family in anyway...but hopefully an opportunity for you to share what maybe I'm not understanding.

The West family has made the ultimate sacrifice with the loss of Philip...

God Bless You.

As far as being a Council Member and standing up for your opinion?

Only one word, "Ridiculous"! You were always very honest about your stance on the war and the residents elected you to office.

Ed wrote on January 08, 2007 10:50 PM:
"I never attacked your rights, I simply suggested that instead of using the symbols of the fallen soldiers that died because they believed in this liberation so strongly that they were willing to die for it- you should maybe simply thank them and use your own name to fight against the war. When I have spoken to the public, I have often asked "What motivates a young adult to leave their friends, TV, malls, video games, hanging out with their friends, movies etc, and join the military, be yelled at, pushed mentally and physically knowing that they could be deployed to a hot, dust bowl of a country that they never imagined visiting, to defend people and help liberate people that they have never met and possibly die doing it? And you don't have to promise them 72 virgins to enice them to do so. Just thank them for caring enough to do it. Don't misrepresnet their memory or what they stood for. Use your name for that! It takes 3 council people to trounce on your rights. "
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Thank you Mr. West

Post by ac94503 »

I received a very thought provoking email from Mr. West.

I would like to thank him for his response.
OfficerThurmon
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
SpamStop: NO

American Canyon Troop Support

Post by OfficerThurmon »

Howdy All,

This is your local (ex) Navy cop, just wondering about something.... Since I've been back home (for the past couple of months), I've seen something around called "American Canyon Troop Support." I've got the jist of it, but was wondering how active it is. The only website I've seen for it (applepiepatriots.com) is WAY outta date. Anyone here involved with it? Or has any more info on it? Need some help spreading the word? As a Navy veteran, soon to be Air Force Reserve, I wouldn't mind lending a hand.

Thanky
Sindy
New User
New User

Re: American Canyon Troop Support

Post by Sindy »

Hi Officer Thurman, it is a pleasure to meet you. Let me first thank you for your service to our country....I truly appreciate it. My name is Sindy Biederman, founder of American Canyon Troop Support (ACTS). I founded ACTS in 2003 after my son was deployed to Iraq after already serving in Afghanistan. Yes, ACTS continues to ship care packages to our US troops in Iraq and Afghanistan as well as maintain the yellow ribbons on Am Cyn Rd West, and assist with the Memorial Day and Veteran's Day ceremony. You are correct about the applepiepatriots web page....I am not very computer illiterate, however, I have been working with Issa so hopefully we will have a solution soon. Feel free to contact me at ACTS511@comcast.net. Thank you for your interest. Sindy