American Canyon Online Future, what would you like to see?

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Big thank you to all citizens for making the site a success!

Post by Issa »

As year six of the site comes to a close in December, I would like to thank all of you for making us such a success. I only built the website, its all of you who made it into what it is today and all of you should give yourself a big pat on the back.

We are number one when you search for "AmericanCanyon" and number three when you search for "American Canyon". We, as in everyone who visits this website, I may work alone, but I have 2000 unique visitors by my side. I didnt do this all myself, I did it with the help of every one of you and I will always remember that. I hope to continue to improve this site as the years go by and give the citizens the only true place where they are free to let their voice be heard. Through your comments and suggestions we have built a great place online!

We have done so much together and Im happy that we our bringing the community closer. I am also glad of our influence gaining in the city, it has been an uphill battle, some in the community still think we are nobodies, but lets prove them wrong. Where else can you talk openly about the issues? Always know that every one of you has a voice here, so what are you waiting for, let your voice be heard!

As always, continue to submit your comments, complaints, and suggestions. Continue to tell your friends, spread the word, and lets keep up the good work!

Thank you citizens!

Thank you Issa

Post by Guest »

Thank you for this site Issa, but I must say this site is addictive...

I forgot...

Post by Guest »

I only say that in a positive way...
neo94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

he

Post by neo94503 »

he well i guess it is thank you very much issa for this site i check it almost every day at the library ooooohhhh im sooo saaaaddd dang computer is broke

(starts to sobb) :cry:
MeadowsGuy
Historian
Historian

Great Site and Much More...

Post by MeadowsGuy »

This site is a wonderful addition to American Canyon! Thanks Issa.

If I had one suggestion, it would be to organize all posts so that the latest post would be at the TOP of the list and not at the bottom. Tracking the posts is more of a "scrolling" excercise these days.
1momfor2
Resident
Resident

A Big Thanks

Post by 1momfor2 »

I too would not know what to do withot this site. I may not check it everyday but every two days I do for sure.
You do a wonderful job keeping this site updated and high tech.
Thanks so much for all the work you do to keep us informed. :lol:
napaseller
Historian
Historian

A BIG THANK YOU TO ISSA

Post by napaseller »

Thank you Issa for allowing us to post our community news on this site. I posted a notice about The Friends of the American Canyon Library Book Sale this past Saturday and am pleased to say that we had several buyers who mentioned you site.
We had a successful Book Sale and gained one member which is important to the "Friends." But I can tell you now, we need more. All of you out there in the great city of Am Cyn, especially ones with children, won't you consider becoming an active member? The cost is tax deductible and it will mean a lot in supporting the Friends of the American Canyon Library in their effort to add more Library services and programs for our community.

VISIT “The Friends” Homepage
http://members.aol.com/folamcyn/ or
email: folamcyn@aol.com for more information.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

Glad to hear that! Proof that the site does have reach in the community! Be sure to let all the businesses know advertising on the site works!
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Year SIX?

Post by mattbb61 »

Whoa nelly there... Year SIX? This site has been here for SIX years? E-Gad, didnt know it was THAT established! :shock:

Way to go Issa! 8)

And yes, thanks for the addictive outlet! :D
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

Yep, I bought the domain on December 14th, 1999!
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.

Post by Guest »

i will agree with the person way up there^^^^^^^

ITS ADDICTIVE IN A GOOD WAY! ...plus its nice to have...conversations with others in our city! You rock Issa! :!:

Website

Post by Guest »

Issa,

Your mother should be very proud of a son that has created a forum (not available previously) for citizens to voice their opinion on so many issues.
I think you are and have provided a very necessary forum for the residents of American Canyon. This website will only grow as more American Canyon residents become aware of it!
napaseller
Historian
Historian

HAVE A GREAT TIME IN VEGAS

Post by napaseller »

You deserve it. You've done a great service for the American Canyon community. But I, for one would love "Hot Dogs at the Park." I'll bring the mustard and kraut.
BECOME A MEMBER OF THE FRIENDS OF AMERICAN CANYON LIBRARY NOW..
POSITIVE STRATEGIST

POSITIVE POST #14

Post by POSITIVE STRATEGIST »

HOW ABOUT SPELL CHECK ISSA? OBVIOUSLY MANY OF US NEED IT WHEN WE ARE RESPONDING IN THE HEAT OF THE MOMENT. THANKS A BUNCH!
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

party

Post by mindingcitybiz »

#5 for those of us who are addicted to the site, and there are lots perhaps some therapy or a 12 step program..... Obviously many of us are addicted and are need of some therapy. LOL

Issa you have done a fabulous job. I would like to see a christian link., Also Chief Koford is working on getting a mental health crisis unit here in A/C. It would be nice if you somehow could work with him like you did with the code enforcement officers.

You have done a great job.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

There are churchs listed in the organizations section of the business directory. If I am missing any please let me know.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

~~~ American Canyon Online Redo ~~~ (Please Read!)

Post by Issa »

An open letter to the people of American Canyon,

Throughout the end of the year and through the next year I plan to redo the entire website from scratch to upgrade certain software and components. The website layout will completely change, as well as these forums. It will be year 7 the site has been open on December 14th and I want us all to keep up the good work in continuing to create the worlds largest online community for American Canyon, a place where each of us can have a voice. I have been happy with where the site has been going and I want us to keep it up. Unfortunately there are times when I just don’t have the time to update the website, there is so much I really want to do but just cant, and I know it sucks when you visit the news page to see it hasn’t been updated for over two weeks - at 25 life has taken priority: I've gotten a new job, getting Microsoft Certified, been working on my Masters Degree in Business Administration focusing on Online Businesses, and plan to start a family soon.

Wow, can you believe I started this site when I was 18! But I'm still here and don’t plan to leave anytime soon.

I'll be working on a few layout designs by the end of the year and want the community to choose the one they like best, there will be a vote and the best one will be used. We're going to make this together. This is probably the third huge redesign I have ever made.

So I need a few things from everyone. First of all I want to know what you like about our site, what do you hate, what do you wish we had? All opinions are valid even if you hate the site that’s ok.

Some features that will be included in American Canyon Online version 3.0:

1) "My AmCan": I started this a while back and nobody really used it so I took it down but it will be one of the main features of the new website. It will be completely redone. My AmCan is Your own personal space in American Canyon, post pictures, blog, submit news article and post events, even get a free email address!

2) Integrated forums: I want to combine the forums into the site; right now, they are two separate areas with two distinct user names and registration procedures, which has been confusing for some. They will be combined.

3) Business ventures: One thing I have really wanted to provide to the community is a way for small businesses, including home businesses, to promote themselves. American Canyon has plenty of new entrepreneurs and advertising around town isn’t cheap for the little guy. We're going to change that by providing webspace and the ability to promote to thousands of American Canyon residents throughout the website for a very low cost.

4) Continuing the promote community: What makes this site so unique is the community is provides. Where else can any American Canyon resident post their thoughts and feelings uncensored? From new citizens to newspaper editors to city council members this site is a valuable asset to the community and I want all of us to make it even better! We are a powerful voice throughout the community, don’t let anybody else tell you otherwise.

Now that I've gotten your attention I need some feedback, I need to know what’s on your mind, what you like what you hate, what you want to see? Is there anything you are wanting from the site? Is there anything that can be done better? I want everybody to respond with their thoughts:

1) How many times a week do you visit this site?
2) How did you hear about the site?
3) What do you like most?
4) What do you hate most?
5) What features or additions would you love to see?
6) If you own a business, what would you want from the site?
7) As a citizen what do you want from the site?

Consider this an open discussion about the future of the website and where we want it heading. So what are you waiting for, let your voice be heard!

Email your thoughts or reply here. Thank you!
Last edited by Issa on Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

FEELINGS, TOLERANCE, VALUING DIVERSITY, BEAUTIFUL MOSAIC...

Post by mattbb61 »

In the PC intrest of not wanting anyone's panties to get into a twist, and hurting their feelings, :roll: I've reponsded via email. :lol:
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

I just got the new business directory prototype up and running, its pretty neat! It needs some more work but its getting there. Theres a link that will show a map for any address, also premium listings for small businesses that want to advertise, as well as better structural organization such as sorting by letters or type of business. Review and comment abilities will also remain.

Is there anything else in the business directory you would all like to see?
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

Just want to say thanks to everyone who has emailed me so far! Lots of yummy responses on how to make the site better! Its interesting that most people find this site accidentally, either by word of mouth or by searching online, and most all of you visit several times a week!

So far I have learned that there are some features on the site many people arent aware of, I am not sure why. I think there are just too many menu options, therefore I'm opting for categorizing the menus in subsections instead. For example the "Community" section will contain the chat box and forums, and jobs and classifieds would be in another.

I've also learned that besides the community the site provides a lot of people want the business side, a way to promote their business in the community online. I am aware the site is lacking the business promotion aspect and plan to work on it. Hopefully my new MBA will be worth something in this area.

Overall the new site is going to expand on "community" and "business", providing a bridge in between. Thanks to all who are making this site great, wow, almost 7 years in business!
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

I would like to enchance the photo galleries of American Canyon so I am asking anybody in the public who has some cool pictures of the city to please send them to me. You can either email them or you can mail them as well, I will pay for shipping. There will be a note under each picture with your name as thanks.

So anybody have any photos of American Canyon you would like to share? They can be anything of the city, events, places, things, etc.

Thank you!
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

DEVIL IN THE DETAILS

Post by mattbb61 »

Issa, in the case of digital photos, is there a size limit we should adhere to before sending our chosen pics?
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

I will make that decision at the time I post the photos, I can always shrink them or compress them to save space. You can send me as many photos as you want, any size, if you have an email limitation I can set up an FTP folder for you. Thanks.

Any photos submitted will have your name on it but I may do what I want with them using the site, except sell them, I would ask permission before I tried to make money from them.

Basically I just want to make a repository for people to see images of our city because there is none online. The photo gallery is getting a current revamping on the new site and I need your help!
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

Wow I posted this and only a few hours later people are already sending me TONS of pictures!! Thanks! We're gonna have a really nice collection of images to show off American Canyon.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

New Forums?

Post by ac94503 »

How about ask the Mayor forum? This is the first time residents will be selecting a candidate for this office. Why not make a forum available for the Mayor to address the community on current issues up for consideration? Just a thought.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

Like a forum for people to submit questions to the mayor of AmCan? And council members?

Let me see what I can do and contact some people, I like that idea! It'll be like the police forum but council members will reply.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Another suggestion

Post by ac94503 »

How about a locked site for the "Citizen of the Month"? Just recognition of a citizen in our community that has taken that extra step to help!

Not a site that can receive comments after that person is recognized for their contribution.

Who decides who should be recognized? Open to suggestions...
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

how about a non-profit forum. Where they can post what is going on for there organization. I think this will help get the word out and promote amcan.com
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

I already do that, on the front page is a section called Public Forums where anybody can ask me for their own forum if they are non profit. It can also be password protected and moderated by another person.