Wal-Mart Discussion (all Wal-Mart related posts go here now)

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.

Post by Guest »

I think Barnes and Noble would only come if Walmart was there as a draw, but not just by itself. Too bad Kohls didnt go there instead of Vallejo, so they could have drawn customers from Napa and Vallejo. I still think Lowes would do well to draw customers from neighboring cities. Theres not much that American Canyon can support just by itself, unless its groceries. I think Nordstrom is too high end for the community by itself.
Melissa
Resident
Resident

Post by Melissa »

I think that Barnes and Noble would be a great addition, or something like them. Also, I was thinking that Trader Joes would be wonderful al well. They are not very expensive and offer more of a selection of organic foods and items you really can't get at Safeway.
I don't think that walmart would "attract" any really great stores, especially since the Walmart would be a Super Walmart. They carry pretty much everything and who on earth would want to open a store and have to compete with the low prices of Walmart. Of course it would be fabulous to attract some more "family" type shops. Shops that are attracted to small cities...
Can anyone tell me if "Buzz" has offered any information on just who could possibly want to come in with the Super Walmart?

Napa Valley Lanes

Post by Guest »

How about a bowling alley with arcade. They could have a restaurant or sports bar and grill inside. Entertainment for the whole family to enjoy.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

My Opinion

Post by Issa »

I would have personally preferred numerous small stores rather than one giant one. I feel AmCan would keep its small homely like feel with more mom and pop shops. Maybe a movie theatre, furniture place, jewelry store, a few clothing places, another restaurant or two, more places for families and kids. In essence, a small mini mall perhaps.

It would give far greater variety, increase commerce and our stature as a city; tax revenues would probably be about the same, maybe a little less. Every type of social class and type of person in AmCan could get what they want instead of just one big box store that doesn’t appeal to everyone. I just like the feeling of going to a place and knowing the owner by name you know, and that’s what makes this city special. I do notice a lot of people in AmCan want to start their own businesses, why not give them some space to do so instead of letting one large company gobble it all up? I think its unfortunate people think Wal-Mart is the best we can do, to them I say: we’re not trying hard enough and we’re not selling our city good enough. What kind of answer is that anyway?

I also disagree with the Wal-Mart decision, I hope we aren’t creating a hole ten years from now when Wal-Mart decides to close or cant sustain itself, and we lose all their tax revenue like we did when that lumber? company left. I shop at Wal-Mart every now and then and I don’t have any personal problem with them, their treatment of employees and such are up for opinion, it just doesn’t belong in American Canyon from my point of view, especially when it’s already in Vallejo and everywhere else. Just take the bus if you need to shop there, its really only 10 minutes away.

Its not about new people against the old, the bottom line is we ALL love this city and want what’s best for it. Some people on both sides have shallow reasons why they don’t want it; do we really want to sell out AmCan just to save a few bucks in our wallets? Do we really want to be stuck up and not let anybody lower than our personal income levels live here? Come on guys, grow up, please. Some people want a Wal-Mart, some don’t, but again, that’s your own opinion. A lot of reasons are valid on both sides. But to me the positives, and there are indeed some, are far behind the negatives. To somebody else they will see it another way.

The bottom line is we don’t know if the decision of Wal-Mart will be good OR bad for AmCan, we can speculate based on other cities with Wal-Marts. Some have turned out good while some have turned out bad. I don’t really think any of us know that answer, its just one of those things that could be boon or doom. But I do hope it is fully studied, and a plan is made to keep crime/traffic under control if it does come. I support the lawsuit against the city; I want a full independent study on how this will affect AmCan, economically and environmental, and that’s solely what it’s about. Its not about Wal-Mart, it’s about the word before it, Super, and what it really entails. I do feel it has been rushed through with little public notice and until just recently hasn’t been in the media. I really don’t know how something can be built when at least half of the population does not want it, and based on my FrontPage poll, and the Napa Register poll, it’s about 55%. Maybe the city should conduct its own poll and just a simple Yes/No on whether its citizens want Super Wal-Mart.

Time will tell guys. I don’t mind the discussions on the forums, I’m glad we can discuss the issues, but please, keep it clean, keep it intelligent, and if you disagree, back it up with something other than “I hate you, why don’t you just go to hell”.

If you disagree please do, and let’s finally have a decent discussion about Wal-Mart and quit yelling and turning it into personal attacks and nonsense. I will enjoy reading your replies, keep them constructive, thank you. I appreciate the community getting involved on the website.

Post by Guest »

That last part was a good idea Issa. But as soon as somone gets offened dont expect the offended to back down. People come on here and talk about how they need to protect there $600k investment and then make a snotty comment about the people who live in the older homes. Thats not right no matter what they think about the Walmart. It was offensive and you cant expect people to just let that pass us by.

As for what we might want to replace the Walmart IF it doest go in...i havent really thought about this...a movie theaters would indeed be nice, but we all know that wont happen untill there is somthing more to be known for. Not Safeway. Lowel's wont come w/o another ancor-store...same w/ a Barns and Noble...and did Trader Joes...i have a feeling people would probabaly not like that either. I was told by an Anti-Walmart person that a Macys would be nice...................thats somthing that w/o a shout of a doubt would definaly not last in American Canyon. Mini stores? What kind? I hope nothing like out AMCAN Plaza's...there are no interesting stores in there what so ever. Maybe we can put a two smaller stores in place of the SUPERCENTER...maybe a...regular Walmart and somthing else...Oh i would love a whearhouse!!! i could catch up on my CD colection!!! That would be very nice! a Big 5, Radio shake.......Hell why not a mall!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!? WHY NOT A MALL IN OUR CITY!!! THE AMERICAN CANYON MALL!!! NOT A MINI-MALL...A BIG NICE NON-ATTRACTICE MALL THAT CAN TAKE UP THE WHOLE ENTIRE NAPA JUNCTION PROGECT SITE!!! WHY NOT? LETS HERE IT FOLKS!!!....yeah that was definatly sarcasm!

Post by Guest »

I imagine with the "Super Size Me" mentatality of the Walmart staff either a taco bell or Mickey D's would be appropriate. Purple spandex, super size meals, all so Buzz Butler, Judy Davidoff and the rest of the Walmart cronnies.
Thats Rude and exactly what ISSA askes us to please not do...yet you still do this...do i sense another person who thinks they are better than others? Yeah probably! Here's a hint:why dont you go get a life and stop spending your time making peronal attacks against people on here. especialy if they are not able to defend themselves. Your acting a like a child...and i know this, because i see about 500 childish freshmen almost everyday. And yes your acting worse than them...and to think a Junior is saying this to an adult...a 'polite' , 'respectable', 'mannered', 'intellegent', and 'high class' adult. GET A LIFE!!!

Post by Guest »

oh and BTW that was posted by me, AmCan06...just so you know!
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

What to do about Wal-Mart

Post by mattbb61 »

This was for Jen2's question on what to do about Wal-Mart:

If I were you, I’d find out if there is a company (or “evil” corporation) which is a competitor to Wal-Mart, make contact with them, establish a relationship with them, and see if you could solicit their assistance to your mutual benefit; Also, do a “Yahoo” web search for “Anti-Wal-Mart victories” or some other combinations of words/phrases and see what comes up. :!: :idea:

I have found that patronizing both Vallejo and Napa Wal-Marts to be a lesson in both keeping my patience in check, and seeing just how long what little tolerance I have will hold. Both stores have their own shortcomings, but they always seem to have what I am looking for. In the Napa store, I am tired of hearing Spanish ever second isle, but that’s a personal issue. I have on numerous occasions spoken to various managers about what is right and wrong, just as I do with our Safeway, and that is the way a customer SHOULD provide feedback to these stores. :)

Personally, I started out neutral to the idea of an American Canyon Wal-Mart, instead wishing for an “In & Out Burger,” but am leaning farther and farther over to one side of this argument. :?

I HAVE done internet searches on this, and I have found that the vast, I repeat, VAST amount of support that the Anti Wal-Mart forces have centers around those who I consider “Blue-State” types, who are either blindly/rabidly Union (workers of the world, unite) and/or blindly/rabidly Democrat (hate, hate, hate, Bush lied, 9/11 was our fault, Michael Moore, yada, yada, yada…). :twisted:

I therefore am leaning away from their side, and over TO Wal-Mart’s, as the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Thanks to http://www.buyblue.org for confirming the Blue-State opinion of mine. I will be keeping my eye on the new Wal-Mart, as I have done for our Safeway, to ensure that neither store takes the slide down the road to looking and acting like another piece of “Urban-Blight.” (read: Vallejo, Richmond, et al). It’s also interesting, and telling too, that it is employees of Wal-Mart, more than any other store I have visited, who most readily and naturally return your greeting of “MERRY CHRISTMAS” with the same, NOT some rubbish like “Happy Holidays.” Hmmmm.. Blue-State types tend to be atheists, or at best, secular... Hmmmmm… :wink:
Rudolph

Post by Rudolph »

the only thing that people say that they want something better that walmart and that they do not want any box stores. Well all that was mentioned like barnes and nobles and Safeway for that fact are all box stores so I guess we cant have anything there but dirt or maybe a round strore rectangle store.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

WISTFUL MEMORIES OF THAT DIRT LOT WHICH IS NOW SAFEWAY

Post by mattbb61 »

I recall in my youth, of walking my now passed-on dog past what was once that wonderful piece of land where now lurks evil capitalist corporations. Yes, the collapsed roof of that barn, the trash blowing from corner to corner, the illegal dumping of those too poor or stupid to know where the dump was, ah, yes; Mother nature at her finest hour that was. (SIGH).

But lo! What is it NOW? Employment for many, livelihoods for parents of children (Remember that catch phrase, 'For The Children"?) The convenient availability of goods and services which are the hallmark of our country; that piece of dirt is NOW doing WAY more good than it EVER did.

A "Big Box" store is ONLY bad IF they are NOT Unionized. A non unionized store is one where the workers are obviously too stupid to know that 'the man' is taking advantage of them; disenfranchising them, if you will, YO! WE, the caring and more intelligent union thug, need to educate ALL workers of the world, in order to bring them under the same yoke, OOOPS - I mean brotherhood in which the rest of we union slaves, OOOPS - I mean workers, now fester, OOOPS - I mean dwell.

Post by guest »

It's amazing to me that once this "W" topic was consolidated no one has had any input. I kind of miss pumpkin and amcan06..."Where you been?"

There have been many items in the paper about Cindy and her censorship... Very surprised by the lack of support ...

Personally, she is quite impressive in just 2 meetings ... Maybe I should have voted for her...
Melissa
Resident
Resident

Post by Melissa »

Well, maybe everyone has decided that "mudslinging" isn't the way to go . It looks kinda like after American Canyon lost Philip West, the community has been a little nicer to one another. Life's too short. As far as Cindy is concerned - she is awesome! We still support her, there is no reason not to. She is a good friend to me. Rock on lady!

Post by Guest »

apparently someone didnt watch or attend the last council meeting.

they paved napa junction and put in a walmart

Post by Guest »

They paved Napa Junction and put in a Walmart...
With a big hotel, an apartment, and a parking lot...
Dont it always seem to go...
That you dont know what you got til its gone...
They paved Napa Junction and put in a Walmart...

Ooooh, bop bop bop.
NishaG

How about....

Post by NishaG »

1) Whole Foods Market or Nugget Market

2) Barnes & Noble or Borders

3) TGI Fridays or Kincaid's (Jack London Square-type restaurant) OR a Macaroni Grill

4) Gap/Gap Kids/Baby Gap Store (They closed the one in Solano Mall)

5) Babies 'R Us (the closest ones are Union City and Folsom, it'd get a TON of business!)

6) Lowe's

7) Bed Bath & Beyond

AND,
8) A Gymboree Play & Music Center

Couldn't these stores fit in the Walmart SuperCenter space? I think it's an eclectic array of stores to interest almost anyone.

Nisha

Post by Guest »

It's amazing to me that once this "W" topic was consolidated no one has had any input. I kind of miss pumpkin and amcan06..."Where you been?"

OH IM BACK BABY!!!
:D :!:

I have had some very important buisness to deal with for the past month or two. Im sorry.
Well, maybe everyone has decided that "mudslinging" isn't the way to go . It looks kinda like after American Canyon lost Philip West, the community has been a little nicer to one another. Life's too short. As far as Cindy is concerned - she is awesome! We still support her, there is no reason not to. She is a good friend to me. Rock on lady!
Yes melissa, it was and is sad for his loss. But Not everyone still likes Cindy Coffey. I mean she has broken at least one rule at the last council meating. (there were probably more broken also). She stated when she was running that " When speaking to the council, citizens would bee given respect"...at the last meeting she was 3rd degreeing just about everyone who came up to offer there oppinon...funny how she lied huh? She is very good at that...she does it a lot too.

Well anyways...thanks for missing me....but im back now. Oh and as for Pumpkin...i dont know where she is at...Maybe Cindy and all her 'pals' like Kath...well why list names?...Coffey and her 'regiem' (haha its almost true!!!) anyways maybe the kidnapped her or somthing...would surprise me. [/quote]
Melissa
Resident
Resident

Post by Melissa »

Hey AmCan06, Please tell us how it would be if YOU were Mayor. What would you do for our City? You have so much to add, why not get it all out? Seriously, I am interested... Who would you do away with, how would you fix the school problem, the traffic problem, etc. What is your solution to fix community relations?
You appear to be so angry, so let it out. Let us know what you really want to say.
AmCanSupergirl

Council Meetings

Post by AmCanSupergirl »

AmCan06 do you even know the difference between asking intelligent questions to assist people or provide the public information on particular topics or do you still consider sitting back in a chair with your arms crossed rolling your eyes at everybody who speaks good public service.

By the way get a dictionary friend, let it go. It is so obvious that this council is getting along just fine and accomplishing some good things together, and mighty quicker.

It seems we now have cognitive thought processes going on and things are getting streamlined. Bye Bye long winded "opinions" hello informative questions.

How about streamlining your energy to something more productive like declassifying Napa-Junction Elementary School as a school for poor kids. Or working towards fundraising for the new high school.

Oh and by the way the Unions have nothing to do with the reason this WM is not wanted. There are less than 100 total union employees residing in AC. Guess that theory blew bath bubbles.

Your Bash Cindy Coffey rhetoric is mighty old and truly tasteless. The election is over and she won huge by the majority of the people. Try again in 2 years, maybe you should run or maybe you already did.......

Post by Guest »

Alrighty then! Melissa you said:
Hey AmCan06, Please tell us how it would be if YOU were Mayor. What would you do for our City? You have so much to add, why not get it all out? Seriously, I am interested... Who would you do away with, how would you fix the school problem, the traffic problem, etc. What is your solution to fix community relations?
You appear to be so angry, so let it out. Let us know what you really want to say.
If i were the mayor of this city i would indeed do new things.
1. Slow down the building of homes, we have enough for now.
2. Speed up on the building of the High School ( Push the NVUSD into getting it quicker)
3. The new road that comes to a dead end behind the new elementary school would continue all the way down till its hits Highway 29 cafe. This would help reduce traffic.
4. Fix the roads in the older home area. They are getting quite bad!
5. Everyone whants DSL or whatever...just give them the ability to have it!
6. i would prefer the proposed 'Vetrans Memorial Park' to be located somewhere else in A.C. it is in fact a bit to close to McDonalds (where i here a lot of people just hang out...wouldnt a new park just be a great place for them to go to...especialy now that its about 100ft away?). Besides its by a rail road...lets go for a peacfull picnic...then a train comes driving by.
7. I would endorse the American Canyon Little League more because a) the roads over there are really bad and b) Imagine a new facility!
8. I would support the Super Walmart because if Walmart does not come into our city...what will? The only major stores in American Canyon are...Safeway...Starbucks...and Seven Eleven...thats it! Why not have the ability to get stores like Lowes to come to American Canyon.
9. I guess this could fall into the same catigory as #1 but, they plan on making apartment buildings where the old 'rodeo area' is going...why? That would only cause more traffic...One thing this city council does need to learn is...THE MORE HOMES...THE MORE CARS, THE MORE CARS...THE MORE TRAFFIC!!!!!!

So Melissa i hope that was what you were looking for. Oh and BTW...Im not angry because Cindy Coffey got on the council...I just am sticking with what i believe...In the long run, she was not the best choice!

Okay, on to AmCanSupergirl:
AmCan06 do you even know the difference between asking intelligent questions to assist people or provide the public information on particular topics or do you still consider sitting back in a chair with your arms crossed rolling your eyes at everybody who speaks good public service.
Whats wrong? i was just coming on here to tell people that i was back! and people wanted to know where Pumpkin was...so i gave them a witty coment. Chill out!
By the way get a dictionary friend, let it go. It is so obvious that this council is getting along just fine and accomplishing some good things together, and mighty quicker.
I have a dictionary thank you very much! and about the council. I agree! they are getting along so well that one Member even left durring break and never came back!!! Oh and if you didnt see that...Get Glasses!!!
It seems we now have cognitive thought processes going on and things are getting streamlined. Bye Bye long winded "opinions" hello informative questions.
What was that? i didnt get that...(sarcasm, thank you)
How about streamlining your energy to something more productive like declassifying Napa-Junction Elementary School as a school for poor kids. Or working towards fundraising for the new high school.
Wow we agree on somthing! I too think that people (especialy elementary school children) should not be classified buy how much money thier parents make.
Oh and by the way the Unions have nothing to do with the reason this WM is not wanted. There are less than 100 total union employees residing in AC. Guess that theory blew bath bubbles.
HaHa! that was funny! blew bath bubbles!!! i love it! it a work of art! :D ... :roll: i recall Cindy Coffey once saying that, that she doesnt care what goes in there ( napa junction project) as long as its not a grocerey store...Sounds like union to me! Oh and please, in one of the 'no-walmart' protests in front of safeway a guy was out there with his anti-walmart sign and on the other side of the sign was somthing else for another union protest he had to attend in pettaluma (sp). Im not saying that everyone who says no to walmart is Union but i belive that the Union has a large influence on it.
Your Bash Cindy Coffey rhetoric is mighty old and truly tasteless. The election is over and she won huge by the majority of the people. Try again in 2 years, maybe you should run or maybe you already did.......
Okay...yes she won...WOO HOO! YAY FOR COFFEY!...i just dont like her (along with many others!) and with that last bit......Your pathetic.

Post by Guest »

AmCan06....you have my next vote!! Well said!!
Linda
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Linda »

got my vote! but having my support might not be benificial to your campaign :lol:

Post by Guest »

Whats the latest? is it coming or not? and when? im so excited i cant see straight.

Proposed super walmart

Post by Guest »

Sorry to burst your bubble but it is not coming to American Canyon.

Post by Guest »

Sorry to burst your bubble but it is not coming to American Canyon.
Lets just wait and see! 8)

Walmart

Post by Guest »

It's not coming, I loved the article written in the newspaper last week. It's amazing what the AmCan United Group has done in stopping the project.
Paul Maguire
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Napa Junction a ways out

Post by Paul Maguire »

The beauty of the delay is that with all the new rooftops going in here in AC, interest in commercial space will continue to improve.

By the time this gets out of court, there may be some alternative tenants that will take the site. Currently, the developer says his only tenant is Wal Mart- it probably is, but that may change. Still to be successful, a strong anchor will be needed.

At the end of the day, whoever comes in there, we are still about 2 years or more out with the time involved in construction. I would think that nothing will open there till sometime in the summer or fall of 2007.

It will be tough to get started this year, as by the time the litigation is resolved, the winter may be upon us again.

Meanwhile, the Wal Mart battles continue all over the state.

Post by Guest »

Well when the supercenter does finally open in AC, I am going to run out and buy a basketball hoop and put it in front of my house.

Wal-Mart has its door SHUT for now in AC

Post by guest »

Wal Mart lost. Buzz Butler lost. American Canyon remains free of further development of the supercenter for now. The Napa judge ruled in favor of the citizens for responsible growth and against the developer and wal mart. The injunction to stop further development until the issues pending before the court are resolved has been granted.

Walmart

Post by guest »

An out of area developer, with questionable methods to get a project approved (like getting it voted on the week before Christmas) and no one shows up( no one knew) has caused major division in the community by switching the project after it is approved from 3 larger retail bays to 1 giant supercenter.

Then, Butler has the guff to say that this is an anticompetative lawsuit?! Since he does not live here, how would he know about all the no wal mart signs all over town? I suppose he still just does not get it. A super wal mart, and all the traffic, crime, blight, and drain on social resources it will bring is NOT what American Canyon residents want in the majority.

This developer has no interest in this community but rather interest in lining his pockets with cash but selling out American Canyon with a huge, ugly, large box as the center piece to our town. NO THANK YOU !!
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

I agree. It is nonesense when they claim that "without a Super Walmart" nobody else will come. Obviously you arent selling our city well enough if this is the case!!! Then they claim that if the citizens can block Walmart what else can the block. Its the citizens who live in this city, we can block whatever the hell we want too, you guys work for us, not them. The majority of American Canyon does not want a Super Walmart, how oblivious are they, why would anybody build something here when over half (57% according to my poll on my site, and about 53%, I think, according to a poll by the Napa Register) dont want it, it doesnt make any sense! Then in 5-10 years there will be another in Vallejo. There is a place for everything, and I truely believe our city is not the place. The only comments I hear from the crowd that support a Super Walmart is "I just want cheaper stuff no matter what". I am not convinced this is why we need it, and if somebody can actually give me a decent reason why we need it then I am all ears. Again let me make myself clear, I dont support the "Super" in Super Walmart.

The slippery banana slug wal mart caught by the courts

Post by guest »

This deal was pushed through like a banana slug sliding over a slip and slide. It moved really, really fast, with a short, short public notice, and the next thing you know, here we are. And no matter how hard our community tried to grab that banana slug, no one could get a hold of it because it just kept being moved along by city officials.

It does not make ANY sense that a small community would not have a say so in something so large, make that monsterous, right on the highway.

The project was not approved at all in the scale or presentation which resulted in a supercenter scale project. This project was a 3 bay retail, like an Old Navy, Micheals, and Pier One type deal, which you would think the community would support. But when Butler, the developer from out of town, brings back a project with all the walls removed, and 1 giant retail center like a super wal mart, that is a completely different animal, and one the community will get excited and speak up about.

Insulting as it was to hear some of the planning commission members and others chastise the crowd saying no one was here to object in December, but now you are all here, does make one point- this project was not well known about or certainly more would have shown up.

Thank God we live in America, where these type of bait and switch approvals can be stopped by the courts, and underhanded slippery banana slug deals can be captured, and not keep sliding along.

Wal Mart may prevail eventually, then again, they may not. But Mr. Butler's antics and comments are most offensive, as he gives no acknowledgement to the residents of this city who oppose this project, the same residents he claims he is providing shopping and amenities for. Once again, thanks, but no thanks, build your super walmart in palo alto, where YOU live Mr. Butler. :!:

$180,000 Bond

Post by Guest »

What is the time frame alowed by the court for the $180,000 bond that needs to be posted and does anyone involved feel this will be a problem to secure? Or has that already been resolved?

bond posting

Post by guest »

The bond amount was $186,000 and quite fair. You know enough to prove a point but not too much to create an appeal. This judge knows there is merit to the case and did very well. Think about it...the original amount Butler/Wal-Mart wanted was 3 million. This is just a drop in the bucket.

Besides with a criminal bond you have to put up 10% and that is $18,600 big deal. Have a few fundraisers and wallah....however this is a civil case and you only have to post 2% or $3,720.00. For me I am willing to personally write the check to cover that, American Canyon will not be pushed around by outsiders.

Thanks and another question...

Post by Guest »

Thank you for your explanation. I do have another question...Does the balance of $182,280 have to be paid if by any chance Walmart/City win the civil suit?

Buzz Butlers latest project

Post by guest »

Butler has another project in with the city as I hear it. This is for the property north of Napa Junction Road. Of course, no one has heard about it because it has not come before the planning commission.

Post by Guest »

I hope Wal-Mart never comes to American Canyon. It will destroy this small and precious city. God save us.....
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

I just got off the phone with my mom and she said in Fairfield they are planning to build a Super Walmart and there is a fight going on now. So now thats what, Super Walmart in Vallejo/Amcan/Benecia/Fairfield?
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
neo94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

ok

Post by neo94503 »

well are they building another super walmart cause i think the one they have had is just a reagular one i think
MeadowsGuy
Historian
Historian

Post by MeadowsGuy »

The WHOLE Southeast plan is a windfall for developers and a FEW landowners nearby. They "landlocked" a group of commercial PADS and call it "Downtown". The placed a park between apartment complexes and what will be a VERY busy traffic "collector" (read dead-end) street and did not address safety, restrooms and usage plans administered by who??? Vince Butler? This park will no doubt be the haven for illicit behavior in the future. The planners call it "MIXED USE" when they have NO CLUE what mixed use is. For the best example of mixed use, see Santana Row in San Jose or what is being proposed in the old KMART in Vallejo (if the supercenter doesn't go in). MIXED USE folks is where commerical AND residential usage SHARE THE SAME PHYSICAL SPACE. Apartments upstairs and shops downstairs... residnets and shop owners looking out for each other ... traffic patterns and pedestrian promenades protecting the flow of both. The idiots got rid of Chairman Andy Finco last year (who opposed the plan) and the latest casualty is Pam Quiroz (who opposed the 24 hour operation). This City Council is a SHAM. They get rid of good thinkers and people who really benefit the community.

If they really wanted to "heal" this community, they would have let this go to a vote they way the first City Council did with Redevelopment. When Colcleaser won, it was an honest win and no one doubted the results!!! At least Colcleaer had the good sense to skip town before he would have LOST the election this time.

I hope the Napa judge can see the problems this particular development has caused to American Canyon and will have the good sense to mandate this be voted on in the next election as to the ultimate fate of this sad chapter in American Canyon history. If he cannot get this back to CEQA, this would be the best course. If the residents REALLY want it, then let them say so in the polls.

Bond Posted Today?

Post by Guest »

According to the Napa Register, today the bond will be posted to halt any more construction on the Walmart site. I too agree with the last posting that this project should have gone to the voters.

Wal Mart court case

Post by guest »

It certainly does not look good for Wal Mart in American Canyon these days. With the grassroots organization that Am Can United has put together, there is no way a judge is going to ignore or take lightly this lawsuit.

Lake Street Ventures ( http://www.lakestreetventures.com ) is going to lose this fight, and end up getting the environmental impact report to move forward.

Meanwhile, as they build the 3 story apartment building, if the tenants move in, you can bet they will complain about the noise of trucks delivering at all hours of the night, and a 24 hour store next door.

By the time this comes back around through the city, following the year or more to get a CEQA report, this deal will be D.O.A. ( thats DEAD ON ARRIVAL)

This group should cut their losses and redo the project with 3 medium size tenants.

By the way, did the city every get reimbursed for its costs of litigation as promised from Wal Mart. They better, less they never see a dime if Wal Mart backs out, like they did in Lincoln Ca
neo94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by neo94503 »

well i realy dont hant a walmart in ac but i think some how walmart will do somthing to get nto ac but for them its all abought the money we as the comunty should do somthing and it just suked that we didnt vote for it because they would have not had a chance but thats my opinion some moms say it would be good because because its close by but isnt that walmart they are all to close buy.

Bond not posted

Post by Guest »

According to the Napa Register today the bond was not posted yesterday?
Marty WalNOT

Why you should be proud to have a Wal-Mart in your community

Post by Marty WalNOT »

Why you should be proud to have a Wal-Mart in our town....
1. The beautiful building.....This building is a one of a kind for the city only to be duplicated in other cities but not our city.
2. The convenience of 24 hour shopping is perfect for all of the local hospital workers that like to grocery and clothing shop when they get off of thier swing shift. They can even show the drug addicts where the cold tablets are to save time with courtesy clerk assistance.
3. Since there are only a few cops on duty now what difference will hiring 3 more to cover all of the additional calls prompted by Wal-Mart shoppers or rather shoplifters. After all they will be selling coffee inside.
4. I like the fact that the store is so big, that way I don't have to see those neighbors I am not really that fond of.
5. All the singles will now have a place to go to meet new dates.
6. The convenience of walk up for the low income apartments next door.
7. I like the fact that there will be new staff, since all of the old staff will be fired from Vallejo, perhaps giving the large unemployed population in American Canyon an opportunity for high paying gainful employment with benefits provided courtesy of the County.
8. It would be nice to make sure we have a work force that would be served for all of the low income housing we are building, I would hate to see that go to waste.
9. If that small parking lot is full the good thing is that there will be another store 2 miles down the road in either direction.
10. Not to mention the property values. What better stabilization is there than to build a Super Wal-Mart in your town. Don't worry about that supply and demand factor that drives up values. No- instead the demand will slow or diminish and the values will decline and people will sell or be forclosed on and there will be a huge glut of foreclosures. But that is good because we have lot's of realtors who are ready to sell them.
11. I think the added cars on the road waiting to turn into the parking lot, the extra pollution generated, and the increased breathing problems experienced by our children would at least increase hospital usage.
12. The best item of all is that who needs three hotels when you can just borrow a tent from your neighbor's house and put your relatives up in the local Wal-Mart Parking lot. Saving money isn't that the "Wal-Mart Way?"

I would never question having a Super Wal-Mart in my town...I KNOW WHY!!!!! Why don't you?

Walmart going down

Post by guest »

Walmart will not survive Am Can United. Why is Walmart looking at building in Susuin, Fairfield, and Am Can? It could be because they are bound to get one or two stores approved.

Walmart my be big, but they are not dumb. They have sought out alternative sites and once they get approval, may just dump this site in Ac and move on. That would be great.

Wal-Mart Not Leaving

Post by Guest »

Wal-Mart is not leaving Am Can. They are committed here and will fight to the end. They will prove that it is nothing buit unions agianst them and that we wANT EVRYDAY LOW PRICES!!!

Bomd

Post by Guest »

That stupid group cant raise the bond money. they are bu**shi*ing everyone trying to hold on to their last hope to stop the innevitable coming of WALMARTS. They lied to the papers, did you read the story? They have no money to pay the bond. That is why the judge ordered them to pay such a high amount so that Walmart can continue to come and so that the group will go AWAY like they should have a year ago when we voted for Walmart!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :?

Post by Guest »

Wal-Mart would bring a place to buy dog food for my pets at 3:00 in the morning. That is important when I work two jobs. Also, it brings a place where we can all meet in a social manner. I am always seeing people I recognize and know at Safeways. Walmart would be good for American Canyton becaue people who work all day can shop in the middle of the night. And people from neighboring cities like Vallejo can come and buy their dogfood nthe middle of the night when everyone else is closed in Vallejo and they can have a social meeting place too. That will bring their tax dollars into OUR city of American Canyon and we need them for our new schools. Once the Walmart opens and the tax dollars start flooding over the top of the coffers and everyone is in high cotton and enjoying themselves in a social meeting manner, this nonsense about not wanting Walmarts will fade away. We will all be happy with new schools and lots of jobs and tax dollars coming in from other towns into our little city!!!

money raised, bond will be posted

Post by guest »

Amcan united will post the bond, and will prevail in the litigation. Anyone familiar with litigation knows that to win a preliminary injunction means that the basis for your suit is in fact valid legally.

There is not going to be a Walmart built in Amcan ever. It is just not going to happen.

:D
a/c resident

yellow journalism

Post by a/c resident »

Actually the bond did get posted. They did raise the money. It was the couriers fault for not getting it their until later. If you would refer to a quality newspaper like the Times (see front page) or the Post or sometimes even the Echo you would find the real information.

The Eagle/Register is so desperate to "create" news to sell that 4 page excuse of a newspaper that they lie all of the time. Gee there isn't much going on so let's "create" something. They are not community oriented nor are they interested in our community's health. Just by reading the articles it is apparent to anyone who is intelligent enough to see what is going on......Help we are about to be cut because we make no money and our company got bought by a reallly really big company. So all of us former Echo writers may have to go back to writing for free again!!!!!! Let's see what we can make up this week......LOL What a joke. But then if they have people like you "believing" the crap, then I have a piece of swamp land to sell you....real cheap just like you like it. The Wal-Mart way.

Just to add fuel to the fire and to further show you little bit of insight on this issue. Do you really believe that the "unions" are behind this? If so this shows how out of touch you really are.....the unions are spending the money fighting the governor over retirement cuts.