Wal-Mart Discussion (all Wal-Mart related posts go here now)

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

This topic is for all Wal-Mart related posts. I have merged all the topics on the forum and put them all here. If I find anybody arguing about Wal-Mart in another topic besides this one I will just delete your posts. Please dont be rude and stick to the discussion.

Again: No more new topics about Wal-Mart, it ALL goes here now.
Last edited by Issa on Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melissa
Resident
Resident

Post by Melissa »

So, what did everyone think of this Open House Meeting? Did it change your mind? They say that traffic won't be a problem with all they are planning, but i'm sorry, I just don't think that one more traffic light is going to help the congestion! LOL.
I am still very much against it...
shelby
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by shelby »

To me there was a propoganda tent and then there was the petition against it. It didn't change my mind at all. I'm against it. I don't think that Walmart in particular will add to our community. I'm not against a big business. I'd be happy with a Target. Walmart just has horrible employment practices and I don't want our city to suffer from it.

Can you tell me if this is a done deal? I'm still not clear if we can actually stop this from going or is it gonna go through without any of our input?
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

If there are enough signatures it is possible to get a public vote on the november ballot.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
Melissa
Resident
Resident

Post by Melissa »

Issa, my Husband says he hears there will be some sort of vote on this topic at the end of this month... Do you know what that vote is about?
Is there a way to got a hold of these petitions and physically go door to door? We have got to make sure this doesn't happen.
Also, where do you get these "No Walmart" pins I have been seeing?

Post by Guest »

WHAT WE REALLY NEED HERE IN AMERICAN CANYON IS "BARNES AND NOBLE." I THINK THIS WOULD BE MORE APPROPRIATE BECAUSE WE'RE A FAMILY-ORIENTED GROWING COMMUNITY. IT WILL ALSO MOTIVATE KIDS TO READ AND DO THEIR HOMEWORK.

BARNES AND NOBLE

Post by Guest »

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT BRINGING IN "BARNES N NOBLE" HERE IN AC? I THINK IT'S A GREAT IDEA FOR A FAMILY-ORIENTED GROWING COMMUNITY LIKE AC. I THINK IT'S BETTER THAN WAL-MART.
IT WILL MOTIVATE MORE KIDS TO READ AND DO THEIR HOMEWORK!
juliob

B&N

Post by juliob »

Barnes and Noble is a great idea! I can't believe one has to drive to Fairfield to buy books and magazines. Walmart is great where it is currently at, in vallejo.
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder

Post by Issa »

Movie theatre would be cool. Recreation for the kids and adults. Better than driving downtown to Napa or the junky Vallejo ones.
Visit AmericanCanyon.com --- Your online source for everything City Of American Canyon, California.
shelby
Wanderer
Wanderer

Barnes & Noble in Downtown AC

Post by shelby »

Barnes & Noble is a great idea! The perfect thing to anchor our new downtown. How do we get them interested and who do we contact in our city government to get the ball rolling??
shelby
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by shelby »

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... 7NRMU1.DTL

Hello All,

Here is yet another reason why I don't want a Walmart in American Canyon. I don't think we should have a free camping site in the parking lot of our new downtown area.

Please read the article to be able to make an informed decision about having Walmart in our city.

Why can't we get a Barnes & Noble or Borders in to anchor our downtown?
maygoddess

Post by maygoddess »

I agree! When we want to look for a quick book or magazine...a trip to Fairfield is not that quick! Walmart does not have an adequate book section to make up for it.

Let's get BN or Borders here!!

Patty

Post by Guest »

i called barnes n nobles customer relations dept. here's their # if you want to make a suggestion: 1-800-422-7717.....the more they hear it, the better chances they'll make it happen!

Post by Guest »

Ok peopel, Yet another crime has taken place at the Vallejo WalMart...Two men allegedly kidnapped a woman and her baby at GUNPOINT from the WalMart in Vallejo on Sat. They were eventually released UNHARMED, thank god, but WAKE UP PEOPLE! IS THIS WHAT WE REALLY WANT TO DEAL WITH? Do we want to put our Community in jeapordy? We need to make sure this doesn't happen - NO WALMART in American Canyon! Our Councli Members have ok'd this project. We can stop them, I know we can -

Post by Guest »

I dont think enough residents in this area can read to get B&N to build a store here :P :P

Post by Guest »

I think of wal mart as an opportunity.... An opportunity to get robbed, mugged and twice each month, the 15th and 30th, have some of the best citizens shopping in our city, spending their hard earned welfare dollars. Think of the possibilities, with the extra traffic problems, the streets and roads would get worn and potholed twice as fast, keeping your local tire store, wal mart in demand... the lights would take twice as long getting through, making the time you spent on the road greater and having a chance for some real quality family time counting the license plate frames from out of the area.... And your local law enforcement officers would get more experience dealing with major crimes, making them a more proficient officer ! !
Yardley
Historian
Historian

Wal Mart Supercenter---A done deal?

Post by Yardley »

I wanted to try & find some answers regarding the status of the petitions being signed and whether city officials are legally obligated to approve/allow the building of the Wal Mart if the application conforms to the general plan etc.

I visited the Am Can City website and read the Planning Commission's Draft Resolution & Letter from City Attorney prepared for the forthcoming meeting. If you can manage to wade through them, they are most revealing.

Unfortunately, as I understood the content, because the developer/Wal Mart have met/complied with all legal requirements, the recommendation is for approval of the design plans. It would seem the best we can hope for are any delay tactics legally available to the commission, provided the majority want to use them.

The City Attorney very explicitely states that opposition due to business practices, wages, or socioeconomic concerns cannot be considered by the commission in approving or disapproving the project.

On the upside, there is a recommendation from staff to prohibit any kind of overnight parking.

I hope there is still a way of preventing the Supercenter from being built if a "formal" petition is submitted that meets all requirements for a ballot initiative.
napaseller
Historian
Historian

WalMart SuperStore

Post by napaseller »

glad you've done your homework. you might want to call cindy coffey to find out some answers before tomorrow night's meeting at 100 Benton. Hope to see you there. it starts at 6:30 p.m. in the gym. dmp
Yardley
Historian
Historian

Post by Yardley »

I have been in contact (via email) with Cindy Coffey re: these same questions or concerns. She has not responded to my most recent email, but based on earlier responses, my impression is that she and AmCanUnited were still evaluating where "things stood" and what exactly could be attempted at a legal level (if pressuring city officials fails) to prevent the Wal Mart from being built.

I do not know who hired him, but there was a reference in the letter from the City Attorney to another attorney named Brent S. Jolley, who had sent a letter challenging whether Wal Mart had applied for the proper type of food permit. There was one other letter from him as well. According to the City Attorney, after doing the required research , there was no legal basis for the issues raised by Mr. Jolley.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the meeting tomorrow. Hopefully, I will hear all about it, and we all will have a better idea of exactly what direction this is heading in.
napaseller
Historian
Historian

WALMART SUPERSTORE IN AMERICAN CANYON

Post by napaseller »

From Napa Register
Friday, September 10, 2004
Register Staff Writer
Wal-Mart goes to council

Wal-Mart will go on.
In a 3-2 vote, the American Canyon Planning Commission gave its blessing early Friday morning to the design of the Wal-Mart Supercenter after hours of heckling, booing and cheering by people opposed to the 176,000-square foot uber-retailer. The final decision is now in the hands of the city council.
I SINCERELY HOPE THAT ALL WILL MAINTAIN THEIR PURSUIT TO KEEP WALMART SUPERSTORE OUT OF AMERICAN CANYON. dlibra
4yr resident here to stay

Post by 4yr resident here to stay »

Not only do we need to do what ever it takes to keep it out, we need to do whatever it takes to get the right people into our City Council. There are a few City Council AND Planning Commission members that NEED TO GO!
I was disgusted in seeing the Planning Commission Meeting, that the members were not paying attention. I am not familiar with all the names of the Planning Commission, but the woman who was wearing the pink sweater (she had long brown hair) was just horrible. She had disgusted looks on her face and when handed some papers from one of the resident speakers just "handed it off" like she didn't care. You lady, have got to go.
The house is dirty and needs to be cleaned.
Yardley
Historian
Historian

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!

Post by Yardley »

I truly hope the appeal to the City Council re: Wal Mart is successful because I absolutely oppose the store being placed in Am Can. However, at this point, I believe it is an unlikely outcome.

Two City Council members (L.Luporini & L.Garcia) have publicly stated their support for the store. D. Colcleaser, in the latest edition of the Am Can Eagle, has indicated he will not make up his mind until everyone has spoken & presented their case should this be appealed. However, he did make reference to his view that Am Can cannot or should not dictate which businesses are allowed in our fair city.

We would need both remaining City Council members' vote and for D. Colcleaser to decide in favor of the appeal in order for it to pass.

These are the questions some of us have:
1. If the appeal fails, can construction of the store be delayed until adequate time is allowed to prepare a ballot initiative?

2. Are there legal grounds to sue the city to force this to a citywide vote?

3. Has Wal Mart already purchased the property they want to use for their Supercenter?

4. Has AmCanUnited begun the process of preparing a ballot initiative? (According to the S.F. Chronicle, Brent Jolley is an attorney that has been retained by AmCanUnited)

If you have any answers or info, please respond. If you have anyother questions, please add them to the list.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Im looking forward to the store and can't wait for it to open. Do the right thing city council and give American Canyon a great store to shop at.
napaseller
Historian
Historian

WALMART MEETING SEPT. 9TH

Post by napaseller »

video available of this 5 1/2 hour meeting at the american canyon library. check it out if you want to see what you missed.
BECOME A MEMBER OF THE FRIENDS OF AMERICAN CANYON LIBRARY NOW..

BARNES N NOBLE

Post by Guest »

Most new residents in American Canyon are new families, who are just starting to raise their kids. Kids are growing and we need to encourage them to READ so they become literate. LET'S HAVE BARNES N NOBLE COME INTO TO THE COMMUNITY...EDUCATION IS MORE PRIORITY VS. BIG RETAIL STORES.
Reedell

Lawsuit Against American Canyon

Post by Reedell »

It looks like you asked the question quite some time ago about whether or not there is a case that can stop the Wal-Mart or if it truly is a done deal as the papers have suggested.

There is a very strong case against the city for their failure to comply with the city's own zoning regulations. First, the zoning code has two separate designations for food sales. One is Retail Food Sales and the other is Grocery. They have virtually identical descriptions, however Retail Food Sales require a conditional use permit. They seem to apply these requirements preferentially and without any reasonable differentiation. Wal-Mart was NOT made to get a conditional use permit.

The signage also requires a conditional permit for the variance. The city decided to just completely ignore their own ordinance and say "awww, shucks, go ahead." without any public hearing or input. That is against the ordinance.

There are numerous other areas on which I sspect the suit will be filed. The city council has done our town a great disservice by selling out to Wal-Mart. The Wal-Mart won't come and the lawsuit will tie things up for years.
Yardley
Historian
Historian

Post by Yardley »

I appreciate your response and hope you're right about the proposed lawsuit delaying Wal Mart from being able to start building in town.

I still wonder if Wal Mart has actually purchased the property they want to use. I also would like to know if there is any possibility of this being placed on a ballot initiative to be voted upon in the near future.

I just don't know all of the legalities regarding what conditions have to be met in order to place a measure on a ballot. But, I have to believe if it were possible, the Am Can United attorney would have started the process already.

I truly hope Wal Mart becomes so mired in the legal opposition to their being here that they decide to "pack-up and leave"!!!

Legalities

Post by Guest »

I have some familiarity with the legal side of this, although I am not a lawyer.

There is really no way to do a ballot initiative on this because there have been no legislative acts. The decisions made by council have been considered ministerial which are not referendable.

As for delaying the project, it will most definitely delay it but the point is to STOP it. And that can be done as well. Elect the right council and after the judge realizes what a horrible mess this council has made, the next coucil can un-do the approval.

legalities

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the clarification. You say the Wal Mart approval was ministerial as opposed to legislative. Does this mean the city council could approve it on the basis of the proposal already being in compliance with our existing General Plan, ordinances, etc.?

I already had some understanding of the above distinction after reading the letter from the City Attorney (posted at one time on the city website) clarifying the legal issues/obligations for the Planning Commision.

It is unfortunate that there does not seem to be any way of placing this on a ballot initiative.

Absolutely---Wal Mart has to be stopped. However, even if we (I hope) end-up with 2 new City Council members who are more progressive and ANTI Wal Mart, the remaining 3 members are pro Wal Mart. So, it seems as if our only hope is a legal challenge.

Do you know if some type of injunction can be issued (by a judge) to prevent construction of the monster until the case goes to court? Wouldn't that be beautiful?
Yardley
Historian
Historian

Prop 72 and Wal Mart

Post by Yardley »

I have not seen this mentioned anywhere on our forum, but Wal Mart has contributed HUGE amounts of money to defeat Prop 72. :!:

This is the state initiative that would require employers with 200 or more employees to provide health insurance coverage or pay into a state sponsored plan.

If Prop 72 passes, perhaps Wal Mart will decide Am Can and the rest of California is not where they want to do business. [-o<

Some more grist for the mill and food for thought if you have not already voted.

Shut up about Wal-Mart

Post by Guest »

People need to worry about who is gonna win the presidential election befor this wal-mart crap. This can effect our lives...wal-mart is just our city.
Yardley
Historian
Historian

Post by Yardley »

I beg to differ. Of course the presidential election is important. But you live your life in our city. For better or worse, the local and state elections have a much more profound effect on our day to day living and quality of life than the presidential election does.

Keep in mind the president can rarely make unilateral decisions. Remember our system of checks and balances? In many ways, the Senate and House of Representatives are more influential & exert greater control over legislation and policy making. As does Alan Greenspan, our Federal Reserve Chairman.

Wal Mart is a lightening rod issue as well it should be. I welcome the dialog and interest in the well-being of our community.

Post by Guest »

im just saything that this is a forum that is about our issues...all i see is stuff about walmart..nothing about the pres. election. Do you have childeren Yardley? (sry if i spelt that wrong) If not im sure you know people who have kids...if a wrong president gets in office there is a BIG possability that a draft may start again. Yes walmart will affect our city for the good and the bad. But whats the point of a perfect city if our entire countrys economy is down? if out country goes into another depression (IMO it can happen again) then we all better hopw we have out Wal-mart ALWAYS LOW PRICES
Yardley
Historian
Historian

Never say never, but...

Post by Yardley »

A draft is highly unlikely---it simply does not have the required level of support required to pass. Again, whether Kerry or Bush, our President cannot unilaterally pass legislation. It is not a "one man show"!

If our economy were to tank, no city (including ours) would be "perfect". The impact would be widespread. Of course a depression is possible but unlikely. These are concerns largely beyond our control as average citizens. The one thing we all can do is vote and contact our state and national government officials re: our opinions, thoughts, suggestions etc. Individually, we can exert far greater control and influence at the local level.

You are right about Wal Mart being "always low" :!:
conflict of interest

Appointments

Post by conflict of interest »

I noticed that Buzz Butler of Lake Street Ventures/Napa Junction 1/ Developer is serving on both the Napa Valley Economic Development Council and the American Canyon Chamber of Commerce appointed him the VP of Economic Development for American Canyon. Can someone please explain to me how this is not a conflict of interest for American Canyon.
Linda
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Appointments

Post by Linda »

Why is this a conflict of interest? What conflict are you referring to? When a lead comes into the Chamber, Dale forwards the info to all property developers that have a product for the tenant. Do you think there would be a conflict if Lowe's had come instead of Wal-Mart? It sounds as if that is where the conflict is.
I did check some background info regarding Buzz. He has been involved in Napa Economic Development Corp. for 14 years and has attracted many companies to relocate to the Napa Airport area and he continues to be a member of the group. Lake Street Properties will continue to provide the American Canyon Chamber of Commerce with the latest retails demographic info or any other info requested by the Chamber free of charge. Just for interest he is also the founder, past president and current board member for the Napa New Technology Foundation.
walter

Buzz

Post by walter »

He also seems to run this town. Someday after he has made all the money he can off of American Canyon, he'll leave us and go back to San Francisco where he is a resident and there is zoning against "The Beast".
conflict of interest

Buzz

Post by conflict of interest »

Dear Linda,

I find the information below that you have researched interesting:

"He has been involved in Napa Economic Development Corp. for 14 years and has attracted many companies to relocate to the Napa Airport area and he continues to be a member of the group. "

Your right Buzz has been involved in this organization for many years. The same organization that our Mayor Lori Luporini said has taken our money for the last ten plus years and never provided us with anything. The organization that was to build a web site for AC that never came to be, the same organization that called us "South County" in the fancy brochure. The same organization that got up at the coucil meeting andthought they could walk away without any questions! Thank goodness our Mayor grilled this organization that Buzz is so proud to be associated with. She at least caught the "glitch" in the contract and negiotated that. Kudo's to Luporini! I agree with Walter, go home Buzz and stay there.
Linda
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

appointments

Post by Linda »

Good to see the mayor got something right.. thank you for pointing that out to me. It is appreciated.

confused about anti-walmart groups

Post by guest »

Could someone explain to me why there are 3 groups instead of 1?

1. American Canyon Citizens United for Responsible Growth
2. AmCan United
3. Citizens Against Poor Planning

It doesn't appear to be all that UNITED.

Post by Guest »

i believe AmCan United is Pro-Walmart
Linda
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by Linda »

I don't know that everyone is AmCan RU is a Wal-mart supporter. It certainly is not something that has been asked of anyone at the meetings. We do invite speakers to come and speak to us but it has been a broad range of speakers. It really is left to the members to decide who and what they support. Overall we are interested in all things happening in AmCan.
Jen2

What can I do to keep Wal-Mart out?

Post by Jen2 »

Hi,

I realize there are two lawsuits against the city of American Canyon for neglecting to follow official rules and analyses before approving the construction of Wal-Mart's Supercenter.

I'm a relatively new resident and I REALLY don't want Wal-Mart here. I want to join the fight and do whatever I can to help overturn the council's decision. (Apparently that happened in Carlsbad in recent times - The people rose up and un-did their council's approval of building a Wal-Mart. I hope AmCan residents can do the same!)

There hasn't been much news since the filing of the lawsuits, and I wonder if any of you know how I can help further the cause of preventing Wal-Mart from coming to town?

Post by Guest »

the walmart is coming so get over it.
Jen2

Post by Jen2 »

If you don't have an intelligent answer to my question please don't post a reply.

I will not just "get over it" and roll over for Wal-Mart, regardless of your suggestion. In case you're unaware, allowing Wal-Mart to move in here means to me thatthe house I paid $600k for will be worth $500k when they arrive with their Rif-raf.

Perhaps you don't care because you paid a fraction of that for your house 20 years ago and has appreciated beyond your wildest dreams. However, for those of us who need to protect our investments in this town, we'd like to do something about it.

If someone like me out there has any suggestions, please respond. If you feel like sounding off on a pro-Wal-Mart sort-of-way, please do so in some other area of this forum, where your comment will be respected and appreciated.

Thank you.

Post by Guest »

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :

Lets take s step back here...its not our fault you paid 600k for your home. if you did some RESEARCH on AC, you would have known about the Walmart(funny how your the people who really needed to do research huh? not us pro-walmart people).
Perhaps you don't care because you paid a fraction of that for your house 20 years ago and has appreciated beyond your wildest dreams. However, for those of us who need to protect our investments in this town, we'd like to do something about it

You say that as if you think your better than us. Well here is some news sister, YOUR NOT!!! You and all your friends in those 'big-box' houses came into the city and then tried to change it. You dont do that...or at least normal respectfull people dont do that. You people talk about a group of women who 'think they own this city' well here is some more news...you clueless people are the ones who think you own this city. Just because you got a few extra bucks in your wallet doesnt mean crap to anyone. oh and do you think we were happy about all the homes that were being built in our city?

also if your gonna come up w/ an excuse for the "you should have done YOUR reaserch" thing...read this:

Your group who is sueing the city needs to check up on what they said a while back ago..."The city snuck this under out noses"...yet..."The city had the design plan in their office" ...if you knew it was in here...tell me again, it was done under our noses w/ absolute certainty that it was snuck. PLEASE!

So if you didnt like this...or me...maybe you should think about what you wright and make sure it doesnt affend anyone...because what you wrote did. So do yourself and all of us a favor and try to be nice! I mean from what i have seen, Jen2, is that your a cold hearted, mean, snobby, rich...i would say more, but i dont wanna upset anyone now do i?
Goodnight.

and your NOT welcome Jen2

Post by Guest »

I have noticed that most Walmarts have a McDonalds inside. I imagine they have some sort of contract with each other. When Walmart opens in American Canyon, will they also have a McDonalds? I haven't heard any mention of this during all the melee. I've never been to a Super Walmart and do not know if they contain McDonalds or not.
Super size me

walmart

Post by Super size me »

I imagine with the "Super Size Me" mentatality of the Walmart staff either a taco bell or Mickey D's would be appropriate. Purple spandex, super size meals, all so Buzz Butler, Judy Davidoff and the rest of the Walmart cronnies.
Curious

Instead of Walmart?

Post by Curious »

I know the lawsuits will tie things up for a while on the Walmart issue but I am just curious what people think should go in it's place. I've heard of only two suggestions, Nordstroms and Barnes & Noble. What would you like to see?

Post by Guest »

BARNES N NOBLE should replace WALMART...