Wal-Mart Discussion (all Wal-Mart related posts go here now)

Share your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else regarding our city in the general forum. What do you like about our city? What needs improvement? Whats happening in your area? If theres an issue that needs to be brought to attention discuss it here. ONLY REGISTERED USERS MAY POST IN THIS AREA. (Note: This has been temporarily disabled. If the forum is not abused we will remove registration requirements to post. Thank you.)

Moderator: Issa

Forum rules
Please follow the terms of use as illustrated on the main page of the forum. Only registered users may post in this forum. Classified posts and events must be posted in the Classifieds and Events forum. Thank you.

wal-mart wanter 06

Post by guest »

Actually the results are proof, after all it was you who cited them as so. Now because you were wrong the results are wrong? I hope your senior classload next year includes economics it might help you understand what this could possibly mean for the city.

As for the elderly, they don't want it. It will be too big for them to shop in. It will be too difficult for them to travel up a very busy Highway 29 to get to and back again, the parking will be much more difficult with all of the other "buildings" as well as trying to walk to the store with a 50 mile per hour road in front of it.

Look at the big picture.

AmCan06 certainly you can find a better way to spend your time then defending a business that is going to effect property values and increase property taxes to maintain? The problem with you is you are obviously young and in school and it shows as you don't have a clue.

As for your toilet paper calculation I am sure you used the cheapest Wal-Mart Brand and not a better brand, because if you did you would see that it would be cheaper at Safeway and you would use half of the amount. Which means by not shopping for the usual cheap crap at Wal-Mart and buying a superior product you would actually save money in the long run.

Again this is simple economics.
AmCan06*

Post by AmCan06* »

Well...GUEST...infact Econ is required for everyone! thanks for careing...i have a question...are you and elder in this city? If not...what gives you the right to tell them what they can and can not do? Huh? Tell me i wanna know! My grandmother and her friends would love a Wal-Mart out here. This isnt just me assuming.

Oh as for the Vote...if you scroll up and REREAD you will note that i agreed to the fact a VOTE WOULD BE A WASTE OF TIME!

Well i have better stuff todo then talk about Toilet paper...so have fun getting grey hair over this...especialy when in the long run...you will be shoping at the brand new American Canyon Supercenter! Have a great day!

Post by Guest »

If you are not trying to start an argument - just giving your opinion, then why would you stoop to the level of Dr (I use this term loosly) Curry. The way he acts and speaks, we already know he is not a Christian man. Come on, you don't want to be considered in his catagory do you?

Post by Guest »

Well heres a poll. Out of the 13,000 or so residents, half are over 18 years of age. So out of 6,500 residents, the anti walmart folks could only get roughly 3,000 signatures? I think if this was the election Walmart would clearly win by 500 votes. Hey AmCan06 pretty good math huh?
AmCan06*

Post by AmCan06* »

Anonymous wrote:Well heres a poll. Out of the 13,000 or so residents, half are over 18 years of age. So out of 6,500 residents, the anti walmart folks could only get roughly 3,000 signatures? I think if this was the election Walmart would clearly win by 500 votes. Hey AmCan06 pretty good math huh?
Yeah Sure
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

Anonymous wrote:Well heres a poll. Out of the 13,000 or so residents, half are over 18 years of age. So out of 6,500 residents, the anti walmart folks could only get roughly 3,000 signatures? I think if this was the election Walmart would clearly win by 500 votes.
How many signatures did the pro walmart crowd get? So lets say the voting rate is about 50% in this country, therefore only valid voters can sign it, so divide that 6500 by half and you get 3250. So 3000 dont support it 250 do, how is that for math now? Come on, this is going nowhere. :roll:

Post by Guest »

You know that commercial that has the lottery form coming down from the sky? That's how it feels - It's raining super WalMarts! MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From today's Times Herald-

Wal-Mart plans five Supercenter sites in region
By CHRIS G. DENINA, Times-Herald staff writer

Vallejo and American Canyon aren't the only local areas that soon may get new Wal-Mart Supercenters. Add Fairfield, Suisun City and Dixon to the list.

The retail giant is on a building spree, expanding its presence in the Solano and Napa county areas.

The retailer is focusing on building Supercenters, which sometimes are more than triple the size of a football field. Unlike the company's regular stores, the larger shops are open 24 hours a day and include a full-service grocery store.

"We have significant customer demand, customer support throughout the Solano County area," spokesman Kevin Loscotoff said Thursday. "We want to supply our customers who've been so supportive with the best experience we have to offer."

That means bigger stores in the area. But some groups have rebuffed the company's plans.

Much of the recent attention has been on Wal-Mart's plans in American Canyon's Napa Junction development. A judge recently ruled in favor of Wal-Mart after community groups sued to stop the project, citing environmental concerns.

Citizens Against Poor Planning, one of the groups that challenged Wal-Mart, is considering its options, a lawyer for the group said.

Now that the American Canyon store has passed that hurdle, Wal-Mart officials are making plans to expand in Vallejo. The retailer is readying to submit an application in Vallejo to build a Supercenter at Sonoma Boulevard and Redwood Street. That would replace the smaller Meadows Plaza store.

Opponents like Vicki Gray, a vocal opponent of the proposed project, said a Wal-Mart Supercenter would undercut - and devastate - competing shops.

"There would be a lot of businesses that would be hurt," Gray said in a recent interview.

Wal-Mart has applied for city permission to build a Supercenter in Fairfield's Mission Village shopping center and is close to buying the North Texas Street property. The new store would replace the Chadbourne Road location.

The company also plans a Supercenter in Suisun City, near Cordelia Road and Pennsylvania Avenue, and construction is nearing completion in Dixon to expand the current store into a Supercenter.

- E-mail Chris G. Denina at cdenina@thnewsnet.com or call 553-6835.

Post by Guest »

i agree....there are going to be WAY to many for this area! I think what is ALL of our main concern (since AmCanWalMart was aproved...and i havent heard of an appeal yet) our main concern is the vallejo one. That IS just to close! Fairfield may even be to close!

Post by Guest »

What are you talking about? American Canyon can clearly support two Walmart SuperCenters. They should put one on each side of the highway.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Wal-Mart

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Alright then, I guess you took business 101. There approximately 14K Residents in American Canyon. Of those 6K are over the age of 18 Supercenters rely on 5k visits a day avg. sale being $100+ per visit. Hmmm? Mathematically the supercenter would be losing money just on Pay roll alone. Good thing your just being a smartie pants.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:What are you talking about? American Canyon can clearly support two Walmart SuperCenters. They should put one on each side of the highway.
haha...
critical thinker

Post by critical thinker »

Paul, ephedra is illegal and has been for awhile. so there is no need to put it behind a counter!!!!! So far the only place I see putting that behind counter is the safeway here in AC. As far as wages and etc. I believe it depends on the store and who is managing. My husband & I used to live in a very small town in Arizona, the super walmart was the BIG place to shop. Safeway did not go out of business. Both my husband & my sister worked there & he was paid for overtime, no one underage was working etc etc. Yes, they pay low wages, but so does mcdonalds, wendy's, carls jr, target, blockbuster, the movie theaters, subway, togos, need I keep going. Hell, you need to make a minumum of 40K a year for one person to live confortably. Not many places pay that. As far as items being made in China, WAKE UP, EVERYTHING IS MADE IN CHINA!!!! Not just stuff from walmart.
for Lives here too.

for the record

Post by for Lives here too. »

A judge with years of legal experience tossed out the lawsuit as baseless.
Game over. The suing group wants to continue with the appeal solely as a mean to "stop the construction" according to post on this public forum.

Time to move on. Get over it just like the last election. We accepted Coffey's win. This is a lost cause which affect all the other residents of this community.

Lick your wounds and move on to something more meaningful. If you decide not to solicit a specif store. Great on your convictions. Move on.

Re: for the record

Post by Guest »

for Lives here too. wrote:A judge with years of legal experience tossed out the lawsuit as baseless.
Game over. The suing group wants to continue with the appeal solely as a mean to "stop the construction" according to post on this public forum.

Time to move on. Get over it just like the last election. We accepted Coffey's win. This is a lost cause which affect all the other residents of this community.

Lick your wounds and move on to something more meaningful. If you decide not to solicit a specif store. Great on your convictions. Move on.
Nice!
a/c resident

history lesson

Post by a/c resident »

The judge did not find the lawsuit baseless because if he did he would have instilled the 3 million dollar requested bond and not 180K.

Additionally as per David Ryan from the Register, this judge or actually any judge in Napa County does not have CEQA experience, the type of experience needed for an appropriate ruling on this case.

His rulings did in fact find the city negligence or more importantly the city manager and city council. If the group appeals is really not important. What is important is that a legal reason has just been handed down for voters to once again show who is really important at the polls (them) and not re-elect the incumbants and finally fire the city manager. Everything will be on display for the next 15 months. Educated voters make better choices and actually remember the bad ones by those they didn't elect.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

WalMart

Post by mindingcitybiz »

The judge citied that in all three charges the City "Abused its Discrestion". Bottom line that is what I was looking for. The City Council is appointed to work for us "We The People" and follow the rules and regs we have on the books. Not do whatever. They were a rogue "City Council" that abused their Discrestion.
Vintage Ranch Resident

Time Frame for the Wal-Mart Center?

Post by Vintage Ranch Resident »

I was curious to know when the Wal-Mart project is scheduled to be completed? :idea: I'd like to plan ahead for the possible traffic delays, etc.

delays

Post by guest »

Sometime after the appeal process if ever. So you just have to manage with the current traffic load which is pretty heavy.
POSITIVE STRATEGIST

POSITIVE POST #13

Post by POSITIVE STRATEGIST »

AHHH LUCKY 13. I HEARD WAL-MART FINALLY PAID THEIR LEGAL BILL WON'T IT BE WONDERFUL WHEN THE COURT MAKES THE FINAL DECISION? LET'S HOPE IT IS THE ONE YOU WANT!

Post by Guest »

Today's Vallejo Times-Herald has an article about how bad Walmart will be for Food 4 Less in Vallejo. I remember when Save Mart Supermarket was down the street on Sonoma Blvd. and Food 4 Less came to town. Save Mart soon closed its doors. Food 4 Less can help close down Save Mart but it sure doesnt want Walmart to hurt them. I say Food 4 Less can come in and ruin Save Mart, I hope Walmart does the same to them.
PrettyWoman

Biased Story Writing

Post by PrettyWoman »

Did you ever notice how biased the Register is? I read the article about the Wal-Mart Appeal. I also saw the decision about the injunction. Oh the details they leave out. The decision for the injuction was issued in order to not incur costs for the community action group that opposes the development, but recognizing the importance and problems associated with such a case it was therefore moved forward on an expedited basis. Of course they didn't want us to know that. It is all public record plus it helps when your husband is an attorney. He found it online and so could you.

Post by Guest »

Ahh who cares, Walmart is coming......and so is TACO DEL MAR!!!!

Update

Post by Guest »

It is my understanding that the Wal-Mart situation is still in the courts and that if there is a ruling against the city/Wal-Mart they can be prevented from opening the doors for awhile. Can somebody update the community on this? There has been no follow-up in the public and I would like to know. Thank you in advance.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Napa Junction 3

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Enlight of the recent unanimous decision of the California Supreme Court regarding WM. Do you think the city council should reverse its decision to allow another mitigated negatiive report instead of a full Environmental Impact Report for Napa Junction 3? The City Council is having a special meeting just to approve it on Tuesday next week.
merryjester
Historian
Historian

Clarification

Post by merryjester »

Sorry, CityBiz...can you elaborate? I'm not able to watch CC meetings at home, so I'm not as up to speed with regard to this as I'd like to be. What are the differences between the two and impacts of either?

Do you have an opinion on what the City should do?
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Approval of Napa Junction 3

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Napa Junction 3 was approved with a negative declaration also. The City Council refused to require them to do a full Environmental Impact Report even though Cal Trans and the railroad objected to the approval of Napa Junction 3. A full ERI would reflect accurately traffic and other environmental impacts. Which in turn would guide us to how much it would cost the developer to do business in AC or if the project is too big for our area.

The next question is are we looking at another switch and bait with this project like Napa Junction 2? It is supposed to be a series of stores like Napa Junction 2 was orginially proposed, but what is preventing them from putting another big box store?

I believe the members on City Council need to do a better job of protecting the city financially. Although the city has incurred no financial loss from the Napa Junction 2 lawsuit, what will be the cost when Caltran's requires us to widen the highway to six lanes because the City Council didn't do it's job. What will happen if we are sued both by Caltran's and the railroad for the Council's blatent disreguard to their request not to approve the Napa Junction 3. Who is going to cover those cost??

I understand we need to bring sales tax dollars into AC to continue to be viable. We lost so much money from the housing developers that didn't pay their fair share toward the expanding infrastructure ( i.e. schools, sewage pipes, water, police/fire buildings etc.) of American Canyon, but our City Council should make every attempt to follow the law and listen to outside agencies that effect the City's decision making process.

Between you and I and the other 100 people who have looked at this thread, I am shocked that more people haven't had something to say about this.
merryjester
Historian
Historian

Again...

Post by merryjester »

Sorry to be naive, but why WOULDN'T the CC order a full EIR, if the downside is the city getting caught with its pants down and being liable to cost overruns and lawsuits?

I can imagine that such a report has not-small costs involved - both in terms of dollars and time - but really, isn't this how things are done? I'm surprised (see point above re. my naivete) first off that AC would be allowed to do so, and secondly that even if it's optional that AC wouldn't WANT to do it...

Again, I'm just a simple software geek, so there must be details I'm missing. But sheesh, what a mess.

So after all that, I'll step out and say: YES, mcb...I agree that the CC should look at this decision again in light of the recent Supreme Court ruling. We (the city) already got our hand slapped once, with consequences TBD.

AA says that the definition of insanity is taking the same steps multiple times, but expecting different outcomes (or so I hear). Is there some sort of 12-step program that City Councils can go to for poor decisionmaking? I can hear it now.... "Hi... My name is American Canyon." (all: "Hi, American Canyon") "and I...am a habitual culprit of poor fiscal planning". (all: sobs and crying...other cities coming to hug AC and offer support)

Again, I really don't have a full handle on all of this, but from first blush that's my take. I realize it's much easier to (try to) be funny than actually lead. Hopefully the new Council will be able to undo any potential foibles of the past.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Well the Lawsuits are on!

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Hot off the Napa Register:

"Union Pacific, which owns a parcel behind Lake Street Ventures, is suing the city and Lake Street Ventures in Napa County Superior Court, alleging the state’s environmental laws were violated when the city approved the new 131,000-square-foot retail development."

Maybe our City Council needs to take a course in California Environemental Law prior to making any more decisions. I wonder if Caltrans will file suite?
BlueJay
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

What a Mess.

Post by BlueJay »

So what are the possible outcomes of this situation? I don't understand what could possibly happen from here...

- Is Wal-Mart free to open in January regardless, while City of AmCan may have to pay out a ton of $ to settle a lawsuit with the owners of that property, AND have the unknown traffic and economic issues that follow?
- Or is Wal-Mart NOT allowed until this is resolved? Meaning that perhaps the building they built lies empty?

I have this pipe dream that maybe Wal-Mart will have to go away (I can only wish), but realize that could mean AmCan gets stuck with the bill for all the construction WalMart has done, AND a lawsuit on top of it. (Sounds like bankrupt city to me...)

What a nightmare. Does anybody have any insight as to where this leaves W.Mart and the city?
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Where it stands now on the WM site.

1. The appeals court is granted a "Stay" to the plaintiffs.

2. The appeals court is waiting for the City's response to the "Stay" which must must be submitted by Thursday.

3. The City of American Canyon is not paying any expenses for the lawsuit the tab is on Walmart.

4. Walmart was required to stop all construction therefore the January 17th opening date has been suspended until they hear from the courts.

5. Napa Superior Court is requesting guidance from the Appelliate Court.

6. The Appellliate court stated the City should have required a full EIR since the project changed from its orignal plans. Right now it is wait and see. If a full EIR is required it could take 12 to 18 months for completion. Then the City Council no matter what the outcome of the EIR could still approve it, but then would be able to request the developer to contribute to any cost the City would incurr to become compliant with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
BlueJay
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Oh.

Post by BlueJay »

Thanks, mindingcitybiz. It's been so hard for me to understand completely. Given all that, it seems to me that the EIR is the requirement. Maybe our city can get that study underway, but ask for Wal-Mart's help in getting in expedited. ($$) Ultimately, if there is additional work to be done for AmCan get in compliance, Wal-Mart will agree to pay for that too. I'm sure that corporation is willing to do whatever it takes to get their first supercenter in CA opened. (Just look how fast they constructed that building!)
This is the closest WalMart has come to having a SuperCenter any CA city, isn't it? Now that the building is up, they're not likely to walk away... But, wouldn't it be a shame if WalMart were to open without the study, and the real economic impact were to end up detracting from American Canyon's (and Vallejo's already struggling) economic health? Yeah, Vallejo is already in trouble, but we shouldn't be adding to that city's problems with a box store that could make it even worse.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

Walmart has other Supercenters, Redding and southern Ca. Their goal is to open 336 Supercenters throughout California by 2008. While we are open to walmart stores. The supercenters "No matter which big box puts it out there" haven't been welcomed with open arms.

I encourage everyone to attend the Dec. 7th Council Meeting regarding Napa Junction 3 and voice their concerns that the city is willing to accept another negative declaration for this project instead of a complete EIR. You should also know the Pacific Union Railroads have already filed a lawsuit requesting a full EIR and my understanding is there are two other potental lawsuits coming forward. We the taxpayers need to voice our concerns that the City Council is following our local laws and State laws i.e. CEQA which is what got the city in trouble with Napa Junction 2. Lets do things right the first time AMERICAN CANYON!
ConcernedMom
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Post by ConcernedMom »

Walmart already has a Super Center in Dixon. Of which I have gone to on many occasions coming home from Sacramento area. I am outraged by the recent rulings against Walmart as I was looking forward to actually spending my money in the town I live in --- I am TIRED of giving it to other cities (ie:Fairfield, Napa, Vallejo). I want to know what is going to happen with all the businesses that have said they would when Walmart was built?? Have we lost their business? Are we going to become known as the most unfriendly city to business?? I will freely admit I do not understand the whole "issue" with Walmart other than it seems to be a national hate campaign against the Walmart --- and why? Because they are successful? I am just interested in having a place that I can make our hard earned money stretch further. But IF I am understanding this correctly from the articles then I am understanding that our CITY COUNCIL did wrong NOT Walmart -- OUR kindergarten council didn't do their job right??? Is this the case?

BTW - I also DO NOT buy the line that Safeway will go out of business -- PLEASE!!! This is a major chain of which carrys items that Super Walmart will not, and also will have their "loyal" customers. Okay, I will stop now as I know this is a very "hot topic" and really am not interested in stirring things up just wanted to get some of my thoughts out there.
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Disappointed After Many Years

Post by ac94503 »

Concerned Mom,

I agree with much that you say but...

Let's take a look at what many long time residents wanted for this "town".

A grocery store, post office, swimming pool, rec center, more schools!

These things have been accomplished over the past 10 to 15 yrs. Promises that I was told when I bought a home. My kids were already on the bus to high school and had no interest in what AC had to offer at that time.

A sewer plant...Didn't think it was on my priority list but apparently the contract with Napa Sanitation would have cost us (as residents ) more...
The people in office at the time made the best decision they could with the information that was available. I have never agreed with that one.

Why? We needed so many amenities (seriously there was nothing) a sewer plant was not my first choice.

Wal-Mart to me...I shop there...who doesn't want to save money?
It is not about cheap China labor.....It definitely is deeper than an average citizen will ever understand. I'm an average citizen. Idon't understand it all. However, if a "Court of Appeals" states that we have been hoodwinked, my radar goes up.

I will shop WalMart if it opens in AC not because of the tax revenues but because of the convience. If it doesn't open...I will shop probably at the new SuperCenter in Vallejo.

So many of us older residents are use to having to go out of town for our groceries or other needs that we will continue our behavior.

My complaints...

I see the new area with Bank of America, Starbucks, Payless Shoes, Radio
Shack, Round Table Pizza as of no interest to my needs. I bank at WAB, I buy shoes maybe twice a year, and I have every electronic device I need, (even some I don't understand) I have eaten more Pizza than I would like to admit.

Give us something new...not the same thing that was built on one end of the town on the other end of the town?

Please use some common sense.

Good Luck to the new City Council...It is not an easy job!
ConcernedMom
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Post by ConcernedMom »

ac94503: Thank you for your response.

I will shop at Walmart for the same reasons as you -- convience and affordability. I would like to NOT shop anywhere that has stuff made in China but then I would cut off my nose to spite my face :) -- and well, that is just another whole can of worms!!!

My other question is: Just how many pizza places are we going to have here in AC???? Seems like the thing we have going for us in our town is pizza and coffee!!!

I do hope our new city council can get somethings accomplished. I wouldn't want the job --

:D
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

How long do you think walmart will stay open with the bigger better walmart opening down the street in Vallejo? Which if all goes well with the full EIR the Vallejo Superduper Walmart should be opened by the end of 2008 early 2009. Then what?
paralegal
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

WAL-MART

Post by paralegal »

Ok, My take on this whole Wal-Mart thing is.......... I would like to havea bigger Wal-Mart BUT...... What about other stores such as Macy's, J.C. Penny? OR turn that big Box into a theatre for AC.

There are so many other things that it could be used for. The facts are this...... AC is growing and changing, it can't stay a barely incorporated town with people having to go into other cities to shop or see a movie. AC needs things here for our community and for visitors as well.

What about a Strip Mall with alot of different stores in it?

I think the issue is more of the fact that alot of citizens hate the idea of a change to their small town and will not like anything going up here in AC.
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

The whole WM thing got started because of a switch and bait. We were told the city was approving the town center, with main street, but instead we were thrown a bunch of lies and got a walmart instead. a big huge walmart that will further stifle traffic until the new super duper walmart opens up 2 miles down the road in vallejo. Then we will still be stuck with a huge big box store that will be an empty shell cause walmart will close it up. Can anyone say walmart distribution center. ](*,)
Concerned AC Citizen
Wanderer
Wanderer

strip malls

Post by Concerned AC Citizen »

what about using it as a strip mall with many stores in it or a theatre? I would like to see some other Dept. Stores there myself and some NICE FAMILY RESTURAUNTS as well.

Seems like there is not enough of family resturaunts here. Also, how about a skating rink?
\
I just think there is more that can be done with the space than Wal-Mart.

I like shopping at Wal-mart and I do not think it is low class for anyone to shop there. I just think that something else would be better.
May we live each day to its fullest. May we always make someone else smile with our words
Issa
Webmaster/Founder
Webmaster/Founder
SpamStop: NO

Post by Issa »

At least we didnt get the dollar store...

mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

ROFLMAO! I always get dressed up to go to WM......... :lol: :lol: :lol:
dcramer
Wanderer
Wanderer

Re: Wal-Mart Discussion (all Wal-Mart related posts go here now)

Post by dcramer »

no posts about walmart finally being opened? Im pretty happy. I havent really shopped at a walmart too many times, but i heard the supercenters have groceries, so thats good news for me. I wont have to go sit in that safeway mayhem anymore. i can now walk over there. Also, did you hear they approved a gas station for out in front of walmart and then they are putting a hotel up back by that new park.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

THE NEW AMERICAN CANYON WAL-MART!

Post by mattbb61 »

So, since i've not been by yet, has anyone come up with comments, pro or otherwise, for our now open Wal-Mart supercenter :?:
Member of the Loyal Opposition
Since 2008...
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: THE NEW AMERICAN CANYON WAL-MART!

Post by mindingcitybiz »

My understanding the new Walmart has the same people running it. Nobody was hired from American Canyon and people just don't see the big savings. I give 5 years before closure.....
dcramer
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by dcramer »

Prices are ok. They are in between safeway and food4less. Im liking it.
VicRiv
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VicRiv »

I went to WM three times since it opened. I still prefer Safeway for Gas/Groceries-plus it's more convenient to my home. I'm willing to pay more for that convenience.

It's nice to have a local store to buy toiletries, housewares etc. and in the spring gardening stuff. Disapointed with all the Xmas Items in the garden section. But it's the same business practice (and Made in China items) at CostCo and other retailers.

The times I went-there were many young adults who I reconginzed working there. I also understand the Manager and Asst. Manager live here in American Canyon.

In retrospect, interesting to see what all the ballyhoo was about. It's a store that serves a need for MANY if you notice the number cars in the parking lot.

have a nice day!
mindingcitybiz
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by mindingcitybiz »

VicRiv wrote:In retrospect, interesting to see what all the ballyhoo was about.
The ballyhoo as you call it was the fact that the developer and the business were getting a free ride. Since it went to the courts they are now paying their fair share for doing business in American Canyon. The taxpayers have saved millions thanks to American Canyon Residents for Responsible Growth and Citizens Against Poor Planning. Kudo's to them for standing up for the tax paying residents of American Canyon.
Doglady

Post by Doglady »

The cars in the parking lot are mostly the employees cars. For some reason they are allowed to park closest to the store. I've been there a few times just to give it "another chance". I am disappointed - I thought there would be a larger selection of items. I have yet to come out of that store with any item I was after. My husband had a good experience with the optical dept, but that's about it.
mattbb61
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Wal-Mart Discussion (all Wal-Mart related posts go here now)

Post by mattbb61 »

I finally made it over to our new Wal-Mart over the weekend, and have boiled the visit down to a few “Pros and Cons:”

Pros: The store itself looked great, and clean, even though it should be, considering how short of a time it’s been open. I would give the members of the staff I spoke with grades of A, with the exception of the two greeters at the south entrance. They might as well not have come to work for the effort they put into their supposed greeting assignments, which I presume they are getting paid for. If you are not going to do a good job, then you should quit and stay home. I mentioned the large number of orphaned shopping carts that were strewn around the parking lot to two staff members, who thanked me and told me they would let the manager know. There upon one went about to call the manager bout the issue. Good response ladies! The checkout lady added that as soon as “they” round up carts from the parking lot, they are all right back out there again. It sounds to me like there needs to be an employee full time on that issue; if you can’t park without having to move carts, then I would be less desirous of patronizing such a place. I know AmCan Safeway does a good job of policing their carts. I think the parking lot should have been designed with more of the type of cart corrals like AmCan Safeway currently has. I also did not see any illegal alien day laborers trying to get a job, which to me is bliss.

Cons: The only negative was many of the other patrons. Many of them appeared to me as more of a bunch of parolees than store shoppers. The parking lot had me thinking I was in a foreign country, or just down the road at the Flea Market, either one, considering the dilapidated autos parked (or more likely abandoned) throughout the lot, some of which did not look road worthy to my experienced eye. I do have some personal requests, not that their recipients know how to use a computer:
* To the person in the “Barely Legal” tank top: “Hey lady that flimsy shirt really made you look like a five dollar tramp – your mom and dad must be really proud. Thanks for letting my two children see you in it. Have fun during your next police pat-down.”
* To the numerous men sporting neck tattoos: “Do your parole officers know where you are?”
* To the young “kids” in the parking lot: “Yo word up dogs - turn down the gutter Rap and Hip Hop noise you think passes for civilized music – hearing those typically profane and abusive lyrics doesn’t get anyone to respect you – matter fact it makes many of us ‘dis’ yo butts, know what I’m sayin? Peace out”
* To all who leave the carts strewn about the parking lot: “When you are done using the shopping carts, have the “first-world” decency to put the damned thing back where they belong, so they will not interfere with the parking of other patrons, you idiotic morons.

Other than that, had a great visit. Oh, and for those who, like me, DO take the time to tell the managers of stores when things are not right from a customer perspective, his office is in “the back” which means the east wall. His name is Mike Sellick (don’t know if there is a relation to Tom), and from what I was told by one of the staffers, is very much open to input. He has already been mentioned in one of our local papers: http://www.americancanyoneagle.com/arti ... 125154.txt

And if anyone ever sees the beginnings of illegal alien day laborers looking for under the table, illegal work in the parking lot, please send a post so I can ensure my good friends at the ICE Department can make their acquaintances. Or, if you would like to report suspicious activity, give them a call at 1-866-DHS-2-ICE (1-866-347-2423). Its the "American" thing to do.
Member of the Loyal Opposition
Since 2008...
ac94503
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ac94503 »

I haven't posted for quite a while but I would like to give my observation of the new Wal Mart.

For packaged and frozen goods...you cannot beat the price at Wal Mart!

For fresh produce and meat...Safeway!

On a personal note:

Officer Thurman, I hope you will be back in town safe and soon.